Chapter Three

Gozuru crouched on a long abandoned apartment fire escape. A little doglike creature curled up beside him. It was solid black, seemingly formed of shadows.

It had six legs, and two pairs of gently curved wings folded against its back. It stretched, yawning and opening its eyes; three pairs of glowing red without pupils. Its maw showed a glowing red lining and tongue with black fangs.

"I don't know why we had to kill them"

It let out a soft growl. Not threatening, but annoyed.

"I know"

"If they knew our name and our face then adding in your presence would make me a national target even in the Borderlands"

"And please don't call me by my last name"

It grumbled a contented purr.

"I just don't like killing"

The dog-like shadow creature hummed another gentle growl.

"I know the old adage 'survival of the fittest'"

I just don't know why we have to live by it.

A note fluttered down from the fire escape level above him. The shadow creature leapt up and snatched the letter in its jaws before using its wings like a parachute to float down.

Gozuru's eyes snapped up to the fire escape, but he saw nothing. Then his eyes caught a glint of metal in the sky. A delivery drone.

The creature growled softly.

"Thanks for grabbing it.....I wonder what it is"

The dog-like shadow laid down next to him again.

Gozuru read it aloud for the two of them.

"I'm guessing you're the one who dispatched of my brother, the stupid club owner. I thought you'd be interested to know that T's body will serve a special purpose. An organ trafficker being used for her own business, how delightful. Come to Ashthorne Pharmaceuticals by this time tomorrow, if you want to see what I've done with her.

From, Kira."

The shadow growled fiercely.

"I know it's prolly a trap but she is my kill"

"Besides what if she was one of us just sealed away in a human body"

The creature was silent a long time before it sighed.

"You know I won't stay put now"

The little creature dissolved into a puff of mist that joined with Gozuru's body. It growled a relenting purr before vanishing.

"Thanks bud"