009

HERMIONE

"Turns out they're total muggles."

Midnight was often early for Hermione, considering the amount of sneaking around she did in her Hogwarts years. But in the muggle world, nothing good happens after midnight.

At exactly twelve-o-one, a knock echoed on her door and she bolted awake. Her nerves were jittering at her sudden alarm, but also by the curiosity and fear of who it could be.

Muggles are afraid of a monster like Dracula or even a measly burglar. For witches, even those who are retired, similar to Hermione, still fear for dark wizards and Aurors who are proven to exist.

In her pyjama's, Hermione tiptoed to the door and carefully looked in the peep hole, ready to flee to her wand if needed. But luckily, a different face was warped through the fish-eye glass.

It filled her with excitement and heat, but she quickly recollected herself before opening the door slightly.

"Draco," she hissed, still half asleep. "What are you doing here? It's just past midnight."

"Asleep before midnight? Hardly sounds like you... Anyway, come for a walk," Draco tried to ask but sounded more like a demand.

Hermione crossed her arms and frowned. "And why should I do that?"

Draco's walls seemed to be collapsing, and Hermione could see it. His face wasn't steel straight, but instead showed signs of exhaustion and near defeat. He was after an escape, and Hermione was always the one to give it to him.

And so, she nodded.

Hermione quickly got dressed suited to the cooler air outside. The pair made their way to the Hyde Park that was unfortunately locked.

"We can't go in," Hermione protested, "we could get arrested."

"you see, Granger, 'could' is an interesting word. It involves possibility, does it not?" Draco was smug but gained even more pride as Hermione huffed in defeat.

The pair both apparated into the garden, not needing to jump the fence and perform such illegal act. Instead, apparition made Hermione feel more comfortable, knowing she did not physically break in but instead magically passed the gates. No security would understand such excuse, and nonetheless gave her a dangerous and naughty thrill.

Draco didn't want to walk around the park and risk getting any form of intention, especially since it clearly made Hermione uncomfortable. Instead, the pair sat underneath a tree with a bud of light that beamed from Draco's wand.

"What happened?" Hermione probed, hopeful that Draco would open up about whatever caused the frown on his face. She wasn't so lucky.

"Nothing." Draco was closed off and refused to look at her. "What's so wrong with wanting to spend time with a friend?"

Hermione rolled her eyes and crossed her arms with frustration. It only made Draco more amused.

Hermione knew when something bothered Draco, he went quiet and circled the Malfoy Ring around his finger. Years of secrets and observant behaviour led Hermione to such knowledge, helping her to help him.

However, Draco tried to pretend Hermione didn't know such information about him. No matter how hard he tried to play that it irritated him, it gave him a sense of strength and dependability. He had someone to turn to; someone who would detect his lies to withdraw the truth.

But Hermione dismissed it, not wanting to push the man she hadn't seen for many moons.

"Fine, talk to me then," Hermione ordered. "Tell me what happened after I left Hogwarts."