005

HERMIONE

"Doctors? Those Muggle nutters that cut people up?"

Pret a Manger was quiet that morning, nothing but the hustle of barristers and mug clinking on their saucer. It was harmonious and calming, protecting the customers from the savage world beyond the doors.

Hermione sought comfort in the café, especially in the aftermath of the previous evening.

Seeing Draco had upset her patterned mood. However, having a coffee with him was beyond what Hermione could comprehend. her entire conscience had been shaken up and couldn't stop the vibrations. It plagued her memory and caused questions to rise about everything she's done.

Her mind didn't even wonder to Alfie who questioned her night with her so-called 'friends', not knowing of her scandalous reunion. Instead, she mumbled her response, got into bed and attempted to sleep.

She hadn't been questioned ever since. Instead, found Alfie missing in the morning.

Escaping to the café was a sense of security for Hermione. Whenever she'd catch her mind begin to wonder from the novel within her hands, she would wave a finger and the spoon in her cup began to swirl.

It was a touch of magic that she had only done a few times, mostly because of the numerous muggles that lingered.

However, it was the only magic she would do, period.

"Be careful," a voice said, snapping Hermione out of her trance. When she glanced up, the spoon stopped, and the white-haired boy grinned. "You might get caught. Not just by muggles, maybe Aurors... if they feel the need. And you should know how harsh we can be towards naughty witches... and wizards, of course. Can't forget about those female Aurors."

Draco winked and Hermione's cheeks heated to a bright shade of red.

"What are you doing here?" Hermione asked, too shocked to form any words.

Draco grinned and crossed his legs as he leaned back into the chair with comfort. "What is it with muggles and coffee? Honestly, it's a filthy habit."

"Draco," Hermione hissed despite the mixture of emotions within her. "How did you find me?"

Draco shrugged aimlessly, his eyes looming around the room. "You seem to forget my place in the Wizarding World."

"I was never aware."

"Oh?" Draco grinned and leaned forwards, popping Hermione's personal space bubble.

She'd normally frown and turn away, but instead blushed and wished for him to inch even closer.

"Well, I work particularly close with Aurors since that was my initial aspiration. But now, I like to see myself as an all-rounder."

Hermione grinned and shook her head lightly. "You stalked me."

"What? Of course not, don't be silly."

Hermione giggled at Draco, which caused him to grin too.

Hermione was regularly very perceptive of people, but she hadn't given herself the chance to take in Draco.

He was no longer a little boy in a uniform. Instead, he much taller, a few inches taller than herself. His hair was longer and slicked back with a strand in his eyes. The suit, on the other hand, complimented his broad shoulders and slimmed waist.

He was a dream, a boy who turned into a man.

"You've always fascinated me," Draco stated with a softer voice. He wasn't harsh or sly anymore, instead his demeanour was the polar opposite.

"Why are you here, Draco?" Hermione asked, setting down her book. "you said hello, had a small get-together and that's it; that's all we need."

Draco grinned but the pain didn't leave his eyes, instead seemed to roar louder than before. Hermione noticed it but ignored it. He was in the past, and that's where he needed to stay.

"I need to go," Hermione blurted. She collected her belongings and stood, eyes looking down at the boy. "Nice to see you, Draco. See you in the next few years."

With those words, Hermione left. Well, attempted to leave.

Draco grabbed her arm which took her by surprise. She didn't want to admit that it also sparked a sense of fear within her.

She didn't know how he grew up to be; whether he took his own path or succumbed to his father's cruel nature. She hoped it wasn't the latter, but still insisted she kept her guards up at all times.

Her eyes lifted from his grip on her arm up to his eyes. They bore deep into hers, like he once did long ago.

No matter how attracted she was to such being or action, it needs to stay where it's always been: in the past.

"I'm sorry, Draco" Hermione muttered, tugging her arm from his grip. "I'm sorry."

She could've stayed with her heavy heart or face the scarring memories within her. She had a choice. Instead of choosing either, she decided to run.

 Instead of choosing either, she decided to run