20 ★ THE BLACK LION

❝ THE BLACK LION. ❞

CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY.

"Now fall backwards."

"Hell no! I'm like a foot taller than Rowan there's no way he'll be able to catch me!"

"You're going to have to trust him in battle, this is no different!"

"His Lion is bigger than mine I think that's a big difference!"

Allura's grip on her hips slackened and she sighed lightly. Miles did not want to risk getting a concussion and that seemed to be final. The Princess glanced up to the Black Lion which watched over them all with a calculating gaze, silent and ready for something she did not know. She couldn't help but to think... if Zarkon were here— the Zarkon that wasn't insane— he would be able to tell her exactly how to get the Black Lion off its haunches.

"Come on you bitch, it's not that hard," Thalia insisted. She spread her arms out eagle style and closed her eyes before falling in Chayse's direction, the shorter girl letting out a shout of surprise but catching her nonetheless. "See?"

"Get off of me," Chayse grunted, desperately trying to push the other off. Finn helped tug Lia off before turning back to the alien that stood before them with a growing impatience.

"Why are we doing trust exercises again? Especially in here..."

"Every day that we sit here on this stupid planet is more time that the Galra has to undo all the work that those before you fought for," Allura growled as her hands tightened into fists. Every one could tell she was tired, that she didn't want to fight, but that she'd rather die than walk away from this war.

"Hey—"

"My point is," she continued, "we need our Black Paladin. I thought doing team activities in front of Black might help speed the process along." The five friends simply stared blankly at Allura, disbelief shining in their eyes as she chuckled nervously. "So next I was thinking we could play Jak! It was a trust game on Altea where you would blindfold you partner and then—"

"Allura," Rowan sighed, finally speaking up. He quickly thought about taking his words back, but... he had to be brave. Just like his friends. "This is pointless."

"What?!" She spluttered. A haze of red suddenly coated her dark cheeks, blocking out her pink marks like the sun during an eclipse. "It could totally work... if you tried hard enough, I'm sure."