Chapter Seventeen

I was crouching in tall grass with Finn beside me. We had sent Elijah and Wesley up ahead to scout the area. I was dressed in oversized camo fatigues. Wesley didn't have any smaller sizes because it was him and his brother's gear. While we were putting on our gear, we also covered our faces in camo paint courtesy of Finn. Finn and I were defending our base. Apparently we were playing capture the flag with paintball guns. It was simple really, we had to get the other team's flag before they got ours and if you were hit you had to go out for a minute before coming back in. We were playing at Wesley's 'backyard' which was the 3 acres of land behind his house, I would call it a miniature forest. It was the perfect landscape for paintball. Having Wesley on our team was a huge advantage as he knew the best places to go without being seen, Finn really did pick this team for the win, well, except for me. Our plan was simple. When Elijah and Wesley come back with the location of the flag, Finn and Elijah would stay behind and defend our flag as Wesley and I would make our way to retrieve the opponent's flag. Although I had never played paintball before I felt determined to win, especially since our team would get shit, since Finn has been hyping up about how much we are going to kick their asses. We were playing for bragging rights.

We sat in silence waiting for Wesley and Elijah to return. Our orange flag stood beside a tree ten metres away from us, surrounded by tall grass. We had to be the orange team (even though it would've been better to be the green team) because it was Finn's favourite colour. I heard the snap of a twig in the distance and looked over to seen a green striped helmet walking past our base. Finn slowly turned to me with his game face on, "It won't be long until he realises he has passed our base, so get ready."

"Got it," I nodded.

"I have a feeling we are going to have a great victory today, Olivia," Finn said in a serious tone, as Wesley and Elijah approached cautiously. Finn had a mini pep talk with Wesley,

"Hands in Team Osama Finn Laden." I stifled a laugh as we put our hands in. "Oh and Olivia be sure to get Jase for me," Finn winked before Wesley and I set off.

We walked for a couple of minutes and stopped behind some bushes which Wesley deemed to be a 'safe spot'. It was a good hiding space other than the fact that it was some type of thorn bush. Although the spot was uncomfortable, I didn't care because I was really into the game. "Okay Olivia, up ahead is a clearing but there is lots of tall grass so that should keep us covered," I nodded signalling Wesley to continue.

"The flag is around five metres away from a tree where Jase is perched, you can see his gun slightly sticking out between those two branches which are otherwise covering him. Luke is the first line of defence off to our right. He's a good shot, so if I get hit just wait back for me to return. There's no way in that time the others will get our flag since Finn is the best defenceman. If I do hit Luke, Jase will try shoot me and I need you close up so you can get him when he moves from out behind his cover. Okay Olivia are you ready to destroy?!" Wesley whisper yelled.

"Bring it on," I grinned at him.

We followed Wesley's plan with me heading off to the left to find a good angle on Jase. We all had practice at shooting the guns before we started, so I had a fair idea of how to use them. I saw Wesley disappear into the bushes and began my trek around the surrounding bush for the clearing, looking for the perfect angle. While looking for the perfect spot, I accidently tripped over a log and reflexively put my hands out in front of my face to catch myself. My right hand landed on a sharp rock sending jolts of pain through my palm. I instantly looked around to see if anyone heard me but there was nothing to indicate that they did. I looked down at my hand to see a large red gash across my palm. It may have fucking hurt, but I wasn't going to be a wimp and stop playing, I was enjoying myself too much. I slowly and quietly got onto my feet ignoring the pain in my palm as I continued my way slowly but surely into the clearing whilst bleeding everywhere.