Love at First Letter - 8

Start from the beginning

"Thank you." I tell him, helping him with the last of his papers before letting him get back to his job. I made my way towards Hanna's hospital room, the familiar scent of soap launching at me when I open the door.

There are way more bouqets of flowers when I walk in, at least more than I remember. According to Trevor, Hanna was a popular in school which would explain all of the flowers and cards wishing her a fast recovery. Aunt Jenette was sitting to one side of the bed while Trevor was no where to be seen. I assumed he was getting something from the cafeteria so I took a seat in the chair opposite my aunt and grabbed one of Hanna's hands.

I was thankful for the constant beeping monitoring Hanna's heartbeat because as I look at her, as pale and as still as she is I wouldn't have thought she was still breathing. Looking very closely at her chest, you can see the faint moving of her heart beating up and down. We didn't know how much longer she would stay like this, but we hoped and prayed that it wasn't much longer. Because everyone knows that the longer a patient stays in the coma the less likely they will wake up. And with Hanna going into her third week, it wasn't looking good for her.

"I'm going to have to leave soon Aunt Jenette." My words caused her head to snap up and cast her eyes towards mine. "My agent and editor are not too pleased with having to stay out here as long as I have, they're getting impatient seeing as nothing for my book is getting done."

"When are you leaving?" Those were the most words I've heard her speak since the phone call, and I was happy that she was slowly getting back to her old self, even if it was just speaking more two words at a time.

"Probably in a couple of days. I need to get home to my house and dogs and I have a scheduled appointment with my editor this weekend where she's probably going to rip me a new one for being M.I.A. for a month but it's my job and I need to go do it."

"We understand."

"Promise me you will keep me updated about Hanna's condition and that you won't fall back into that slump. I need to make sure that you are going to be here for both Hanna and Trevor."

"I promise."

 ****

I returned home that weekend, neither of my roommates were home but they left a note saying they would be back in a few hours. My dogs were both lying on the couch and I was sat behind my computer, my fingers typing away as fast as they could creating my newest story. I was excited for this one and how it would turn out after my editor got a hold of it. She loved to take apart my stories and rearrange them into a completely different story, but yet it always turned out better.

There was a stack of mail piled up on my counter and I hastily went throug hthem as soon as I had stepped through the door, wishing that something in there was from my uncle or Brett but luck must not be on my side for there was nothing. And immediately my mood went out the window, I was excited having written a total of four more chapters throughout the whole day. They were probably rushed and my editor would most likely have a field day with them but they were finished as they had a lot of potential.

Glancing at the clock and realizing it was in the middle of the night and both of my roommates had come and gone straight to bed, I picked up a piece of paper and immediately wrote a letter.

Dear Uncle Tate,

I don't know what is going on, but I haven't heard anything from either your or Brett in a month now. And to tell you the truth I'm terrified. I don't know what is going on and I'm afraid that every scenario that runs through my mind isn't a good one. But everytime I try to convince myself that you both are okay, it just seems unrealistic. What other reason would mean a month without a letter of a skype to your family?

I just really hope you guys are okay, and if you do get this please skype your family before writing back. There is very important news you need to hear from your wife and I'm afraid that I would rather you hear it from your wife then me. She needs you right now, they all do. It's urgent you get a hold of them. Please.

And if you happen to know if my newest friend is alright and well, would you please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope you're okay and I would love to hear from you soon.

Stay safe,

Hazel Tate.

***********

I know it's a weird place to end, but I wanted to give y'all an update. So here you go.

I hope you liked it!

Comment & Vote!