Love at First Letter - 33

Chapter 33

I don't know what I packed, I'm not even sure I grabbed my phone charger, all I know is that I needed to get to the hospital and I needed to get there now. Logan and I rented a car and I drove quite quickly down the familiar roads, until we made it to the hospital. I don't check to see if my car even made it in the lines of the parking space and I don't care to know either. Logan's on my heels as I walk quickly into the hospital.

I plant both of my hands on top of the front desk, my fingers tap on the wood as the woman talks on the phone. She gives me a look but that doesn't stop my fingers. She just rolls her eyes and finishes her phone call. "I need to know what room Brett Tinsley is in."

"Are you family?" She asks me.

I was getting more and more frustrated. I just wanted to make sure he was okay. "She's his wife okay, now tell us what goddamn room he's in so we can make sure he's okay." Logan says to her and I shoot him a look, one that says how grateful I am for him.

"Well then Mrs. Tinsley," I can tell she doesn't quite believe him due to the fact that I'm not wearing a wedding ring, which she makes sure to look at for a few seconds. She clicks her tongue and says anyways, "He's on the third floor."

Logan and I don't wait for the woman to say anything else, instead we're rushing towards the elevator. I press it once, then twice, and then three more times before I realize the elevator is going too slow and immediately take to the stairs. Logan groans but follows me anyway and just as we open the door and set up the stairs I hear the ding of the elevator.

"Seriously Hazel, you couldn't have waited literally three more seconds."

"Not when the man I love could be dying."

When we get to the third floor I immediately see his family sitting in the waiting room. Brittany notices me first and rushes towards me. She flings her arms around my neck and I can tell that's see's been crying. "What's wrong with him?"

"Didn't you read my email?"

"Only part of it." I told her. "As soon as I saw there was an accident, I packed my stuff and came right away. Now tell me what's happening."

"They were - I don't know the technical term for it but they were doing some kind of practice test thing with live fire and something went wrong. He was shot, he lost a lot of blood. They won't tell me where he was shot or how bad it was, but they did surgery at a hospital close to the base he was at and they flew him here to be close to us." She takes a deep breath. "They said he was going to be okay, but then I guess he got a blood clot and he had to go back in for surgery. He hasn't come out yet."

Brett's mom and dad both gave me a forced smile but I didn't return one. Instead I took a seat in one of the many chairs. Logan sat next to me, his arm going around my shoulders and bringing me into his chest. The wooden arm of the chair was digging into my side but I didn't care. I turned so I could shove my face into his shirt and cried.

"He's going to be okay." Logan said to me and rested his chin on the top of my head. "He was just doing surgery for a blood clot, they do that all the time. It's like routine surgery." I didn't know if he was lying to me or not but at the moment I didn't care.

"Thank you for being here for me, you're the best."

"That's what friends do."

We were sat there for an hour before we heard any news on Brett. The doctor came out and when I went to stand up Logan pulled me back down onto my seat. "Just let the doctor talk to his parents right now. They'll tell you in a minute."