Love at First Letter - 8

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," He said so quietly I barely heard it. "whatever it was you said to her that really snapped her out of it worked. I just wish we knew what was happening to dad."

"Me too."

"I heard you were talking to him again, he was really happy in his last skype call. He said you two had mended everything and then the accident happened and we didn't know who else to call. Mom wasn't sure if you were going to come or not."

"Of course I would come." I took my head off of his shoulder and turned so I was looking at him. "You guys are like the only family I have left, of course I would have come. I was so scared not knowing what was happening, I thought it was your dad honestly."

"I can't help but think of the worst case scenario when it comes to him. I want to believe that nothing is wrong and that they are just busy, but he always skypes, even if it's for only a couple minutes. I can't help but think-"

"Don't." I say to him. "Don't you dare finish that sentence. He is going to be okay and he's going to come home and we're going to be a happy family. I'm going to come and visit more, Hanna's going to come out of this alive and strong, you're mother is going to grieve and it's going to be a long process, but she's going to be okay. We all are." I wrapped my arms around Trevor and brought his body into mine. "We're going to be okay." I repeated.

*****

I smiled when I saw Aunt Jenette awake before me and sitting at the kitchen table with two cups of tea. She pushed one towards me when I sat down in front of her and she gave me a small smile. I could still see the sadness that lingered behind her eyes and will always linger behind them. But at least she was up and walking and eating herself, and for that small step I was happy.

"Would you like to go see Hanna today?" I asked her, to which she nodded, taking a sip of her tea.

"I'm sorry." Her voice was soft and scratchy from lack of use. I would have missed her words if I hadn't been looking at her and knew she was talking.

"It's okay, we're going to get through this. Would you like to go now?" To this she nodded again. I waited for her as she grabbed her coat, and Trevor slipped on his shoes before taking them back to the hospital where we seemed to be spending all our time at.

I let Aunt Jenette and Trevor out at the entrance because there were many cars and I knew Aunt Jenette wasn't in any condition to walk all the way across the parking lot. Once parked and finally inside the lobby I made the familiar trek up the stairs and on to the third floor where Hanna was staying.

With my eyes on my phone in my hand I wasn't aware of the oncoming doctor who had just rounded the corner. We collided, his papers flew everywhere and I landed straight on my butt.

"I am so sorry." We chorused at the same time. I looked up at him. He was a younger doctor, his hair was spiked and he wore a wedding ring. I helped him collect his papers that fell onto the floor and stopped when I noticed the name on the top of the file. Hanna Tate.

"You're Hanna's doctor?" I asked him, handing him the papers and watched as he nodded. "Is she going to be okay?"

"Are you family?"

I nodded, "I'm her cousin. Please tell me that she's going to be okay."

"We can't be sure to a full extent until she wakes up but we're very hopeful. If she didn't have her seatbelt on she would have died on contact but now it's just a waiting game."

"Is she going to remember anything when she wakes up."

"We have no way of knowing that. She could remember everything, but in most cases when the head hits the glass as hard as hers did, they will most likely wake up with some sort of amnesia."