Ch.3: That Moment When Everyone Disregards Your Opinion

'So, this was your plan?' said Akiba, still on the floor, 'get yourself executed by the council?'

Mama fidgeted with the sleeves of her lab coat, her eyes fixed on the limp form of Zawadi. 'The council won't...'

'They will,' Akiba retorted, 'you know what Baba said. Everyone there is dead scared that the other will stab them in the back. And now you've gone and given them a reason to be.'

Mama whirled to face her, her dark eyes flashing. If Akiba hadn't known better, she'd think it came from balancing tears. She opened her mouth, as if to reprimand her daughter, then seemed to remember the true reckless idiot in the room and closed it. 'Let's prepare to move these things,' she said instead, removing the puppets and wrenching a door disguised to look like stone open.

Frozen smoke spilt out, dissipating to reveal a sculpture, solidified in time. White, scaly skin, glowing in the moonlight. Ears twisted to look like horns. Bony back arched. Mouth open in a soundless roar. Wide, Snake-like eyes. A decaying nose. Four fangs curled among icicle-like teeth. Four spindly legs. A tailless behind.

Mama crouched to pull it out, cradling the priceless heirloom like an egg. Akiba draped the legs over her arms. 'Can't we...' she began.

'Focus!'

She sighed and stared up at the ceiling. How could she get her to listen?

'It's like you don't even know me,' Mama said, getting to her knees and pushing at the floor. The stone slid open, revealing staircases, 'I always have a plan B.'

'And a plan C?'

'Yes.'

'What about plan D?'

'Mwanangu, I have a plan M.'

'What if Warsame has a plan N?'

Mama paused her work to glare at her. 'Go down there and help me take these ogres down.'

Akiba sighed and descended the staircases. 'Won't Baba wonder why we are taking all these into his room when we haven't finished them yet?' she said, as mother handed her yet another ogre. 'Look, this one's missing a leg.'

Mama opened her mouth to answer, but her kijioo rang. She answered it, plastering a fake smile on her face when Baba's deep voice filtered through. 'Mpenzi,' she trilled.

'It went that well?' Baba sounded amused.

Mama's fake smile turned, if possible, faker. 'Yes, yes,' she said, waving her hand, 'I'm me, aren't I? What did you expect?'

Behind her, Akiba choked on her own spit. Mama threw her a dangerous glance.

'Is Akiba there?' said Baba.

'No,' said Mama, 'she's gone to sleep.' Something large and painful clogged up Akiba's throat, squeezing it tight. How could Mama do that?