Ch. 7: Oh, Those Embarrassing High School Photos...

Baba gritted his teeth. He wrenched the handle of the vanity off. A mad look glinted in his eyes as he rushed forward. The thing vanished, but Baba didn't stop running.

He would pitch over the railing if Akiba didn't stop him. She grabbed at his elbow. He jerked her forwards. She fell to the ground with a cry. 'Baba stop,' she shouted, as her hands slipped from his elbow. 'Stop, stop, please, you'll...'

Shangazi Faraja stepped forwards and punched him. Baba fell, his eyes rolling back. 'Here, take his legs,' she said, 'I'll take his arms. Waridi, keep his head from lolling around. Let's get him to bed.'

Baba writhed in their grip. They somehow managed to drag him to the mattress and get him under the covers. He thrashed from side to side. 'Get away from her,' he murmured, 'get away from her, get away from her...'

Waridi slammed the window closed. Akiba took Baba's hand and tried to calm him. 'Get away from Tawa,' he shouted.

She stroked a hand over his forehead, murmuring every prayer she knew. Baba's tossing and turning started to slow.

'Tawa? Tawa, you have to come,' said Shangazi Faraja into her kijioo, 'I've sent you a ride. Malifedha just collapsed.'

Baba had almost calmed down by now, except for the occasional murmur. Akiba laced her fingers with his and curled her knees to her chest until a knock sounded from downstairs and Shangazi Faraja went to open the door. 'Ala! where are your shoes?' she asked.

'Oh,' came Mama's voice, as if she had just then realised that she had travelled all the way from home barefoot.

'Doesn't matter,' said Shangazi Faraja, leading her upstairs, 'Akiba's with him. He's settling down now, but...' they opened the door. Mama ran in, kneeling next to the mattress and putting her hand on Baba's forehead. She didn't even glance at Waridi.

'He doesn't have a fever,' said Akiba, her throat tight. She wanted to burst into tears there and then, but seeing Mama's face stopped her. If Mama could be calm, she had no excuse not to be.

'What happened?' Mama asked. Shangazi Faraja handed her the picture without a word. Akiba peeked over her shoulder, calm enough to make sense of the people on it.

It showed six children. Akiba recognised a boy with Warsame's shaggy hair sprawled onto the ground and sleeping. Another one, all bony elbows and knees but with the same narrow eyes as Baba was sneaking worms into the side of his neck. The boy that had a little of Sidi's stunning looks had to be Ami Hamisi. He had sat cross-legged on the ground, his blue kanzu starched, his patterned shawl in a crisp triangle around his shoulders and his eyes staring straight into the kiundahadithi lens. A girl with Shanganzi Faraja's crazy grin loomed over another girl with Mama's dark, perfect eyebrows, her fingers poised to attack. Mama was whispering into the ear of a third girl with a beauty mark under one eye. The picture read 'Academy of future council leaders. Class of 780 AW'