4 | CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR

On the drive home, Arryn wondered if she could get past Starlight Leela's bad habits

On the drive home, Arryn wondered if she could get past Starlight Leela's bad habits. It wasn't natural for people to talk in acronyms. She'd tried to overlook that she sometimes dipped into LOL's and OMG's, but then they'd spent the entire date with Leela showing her screenshots of her place in Animal Crossing. Maybe she'd been nervous, and maybe Arryn was being too hard on her dates, so she agreed to see Leela again, and they'd make plans over the following week. Until they did, Arryn had other messages on eDen, and she didn't intend to ignore them this early. Besides, she'd need the cannon fodder for her article.

She pulled into her drive, spotted Yennefer's bright yellow Volkswagen parked on the street, but didn't see her in it. Once she got up to her apartment, she found both best friends sitting at her door.

"You owe me five bucks," Darcy declared as she stood up and pulled Yen with her. "She didn't spend the night."

Yen ignored her. "Was she everything the cards said she'd be?"

Keys in hand, Arryn stepped past them and unlocked the door, then motioned them inside. "You bet on my date?" She didn't know whether to be amused or insulted that her date was going for such little cash.

Darcy plopped down into a dining chair. "Only a few minutes ago. Yen said you'd have a second date. I said you'd be home before ten."

Arryn snorted and smiled at Yen. "She was right. I'm guessing she was nervous, but I liked her enough to see her again."

Yennefer stuck her tongue out at Darcy. "See, I told you. The reading helped."

"Fine, fine." Darcy harrumphed as she stood, digging into her pocket and pulling out a wadded bill. She slapped it into Yennefer's outstretched hand. "I concede." She padded over to Arryn and looped her arm around her neck for a hug. "I can't stay for long. Tomorrow is Shaw's birthday, and I still haven't figured out what to give him."

Yen's mouth quirked up at the corners. "Give him a blow job, it's like flowers and candy to a guy."

"You're not wrong," Arryn added.

Darcy straightened her face. "Whose the next person on the list?"

"Nobody I'm really interested in. I'll check out my DMs tomorrow and see if I have anything new, then go from there."

"I could recommend some guys at work," Darcy offered.

Arryn shook her head back and forth so fast she got dizzy. Blind dates never worked, and she didn't like being put into awkward positions with her friends. "No. Remember when my coworker matched me with her cousin? We had nothing in common, but he wanted to go out again, and I didn't. Things got weird, and Tess never got over it that I didn't fall madly in love with him. No more blind dates."

"Wouldn't bother me, so if you change your mind, let me know." Darcy flapped the air as if swatting a mosquito, then leaned closer. "Before I go, I have something I think I need to tell you."