♤ Chapter〖14〗| The Awakening of a Villain ♤

Lyra pretended to sleep as she heard Sophie wake up with a jolt.

She could hear the girl panting heavily. There was no doubt she had just woke up from a nightmare.

It was in the middle of the night. This was not the first time Sophie had woken up with a start like that.

Nemesis dreams. Lyra heard a voice in her head say. She decided to ignore it even though she knew it was right.

But she just couldn't face the fact that Sophie's nemesis might be Tedros. She didn't want him to get hurt but it's not like she have much of a choice anyways. If Tedros was indeed Sophie's nemesis then one of them was going to die.

And she didn't want that.

Lyra could hear Sophie slowly lie down once more on her bed. There was the sound of shuffling before she stopped moving.

Most people would think Sophie just went back to sleep. But Lyra knew that Sophie wouldn't be able to sleep for the rest of the night.

✎﹏

"I say we do something about this." Hester said.

"But what though?" Anadil wondered.

"Something that would make Tedros trust her again," said Lyra.

It was recess and the three witches were sitting below a shady tree. Sophie had excused herself, saying that she had things to do.

What things she had to do, Lyra had no idea.

"What if we attack him? Make it look like we attacked him and then let Sophie save him." Hester suggested.

Lyra frowned, hating the idea already. But. . .

"That could work," Lyra pondered. "But he better not get hurt."

Anadil nodded. "I'll get my rats to attack him when he's patrolling. I can train them in the doom room. No one goes there."

Honestly, Lyra felt really worried. She didn't want to stage an attack against Tedros. He was her best friend after all (that is to say whether they were even friends anymore).

But things were different now. Sophie was dangerous. Lyra has seen her abilities. She could wreck the whole school if she chose to and by then. . .

And by then, it may be too late.

"I really can't believe the Storian had started a fairy tale about two Readers in school," Hester said with a sigh.

"I know right?" said Anadil as she fed her rats.

"Well, what matters now is that Sophie hasn't showed any symptoms yet," Lyra said. "If things go too far, nothing will stop her from killing Tedros."

"What about the teachers? Surely they can do something about this," Anadil said.

Hester shook her head. "Teachers can't interfere with fairy tales. Plus, you've seen her powers."

Lyra sighed. "I suppose there's only one way to stop this now."

The three witches stared at each other and nodded.

"We have to make Tedros love her again."

✎﹏

Lyra could hear the roaring sound coming from the sewer river that stretched through the long tunnel from Good to Evil.