Chapter 7

Flashback:

"So, how did I do? Be honest with me," He said asking in regard to his recent breakup. 

"I think that you were a jerk. The poor girl ran out of the student lounge crying. Why did you do it in public, you idiot! Do you not care about a girl's emotions?!" Lena was sure to give him the truth, and she was honest alright. 

"Of course I do, Lee. But, how in the world was I supposed to know that she was going to give me sad news as well? She told me that her dog died then I broke her heart. I mean you are right. I am a jerk. But still, how was I supposed to know!?" Adam told her. 

"I don't know, but it's cold out here tonight." the Luthor responded.  

Adam disappeared and left her there, alone, for a moment. 

Lena sat in the back of an old beat up pickup truck waiting for her date to get something from the front. She shivered just a little and pulled the jacket, that was way definitely twice her size, tight around her shoulders. She hadn't brought one so Adam offered up his. Lena argued that it was too cheesy especially since she hadn't fully succumbed to the idea that they were on a date.

Lena and Adam had been friends for a while now. He was the closest friend that she had ever had, you could even argue that they were best friends. Which is part of the reason she was in denial that this was a date. She didn't want to screw up the only friendship that was dear to her by some ridiculous sought out emotions that probably weren't even real.

When Lex left to help her father run the company, he moved into an apartment in Metropolis and left the Luthor family mansion. Needless to say, he wasn't around much to be a big brother to Lena when she really needed him.

Without Lex there she began to get close to Adam. He was a great listener and let Lena rant about her endevour. It was just easy with him. But, tonight under the stars Lena needed to cherish it because it would be the last night like this for a while. She was off to boarding school soon. There was still so much to get done and packed. But she still had this one night with Adam that was going to be perfect. She just dreaded telling him that she was leaving.

Adam came around the side of the truck and started to climb up onto the bed. He was wearing a flannel and a pair of worn-out blue jeans with a pair of black lace-up vans. By the looks of him, you couldn't tell that he was a private school prep. In his arms, he was carrying another blanket to cover up with and to top off the little makeshift bed they made in the back. He also had a pillow which he slung up by Lena.

"What took you so long? I was starting to worry, thought a bear had eaten you or something." Lena joked like she always did with him.

"Nah," Adam wrinkled his nose and scrunched up his face a little then adjusted his glasses as he started to unfurl the blanket while smiling widely, "I'm too pretty to eat."

Lena helped him with the blanket, "Oh really, are you sure it's not the excessive amount of cologne that you have on?" She couldn't help but grin herself. She would miss these little banters that went back and forth between them.

Adam sniffed his shirt as a gesture to see how strong his cologne was then looked up at Lena under the now setting sun, "I think it smells quite nice."

"Oh, whatever!" Lena rolled her eyes and threw the pillow at him.

"Hey, what was that for?"

"Hm," Lena shrugged than smiled, "just 'cause."

Adam smiled and shook his head. He put the pillow behind him and propped his head up against it to watch the sunset. Lena sat beside him at a distance which confused him because they were always so close. She was only distant like this when she had some sort of news or when she was hiding something from him.