Chapter 32: No Time To Waste

Start from the beginning

"What if a random person takes it?" Obi-Wan asked. He stroked his beard in thought, as he always did. "I assume there are many powers which some people would like to take for themselves."

"Then he or she dies." I finished the story. "So, either I'm going to find a living parent, or I'll find an echo of my long-lost family. If none of the above, then I say we're screwed." Sighing deeply I leaned on the table and watched the map in front of me. "Either way, we will have to hurry. Arthas will be here in a few days and if we leave tomorrow, we'll be there the next day afternoon. We'll have 3 days to find what we need and head all the way back to Eagle's Fall before he attacks." My fingers followed the journey on the map.

"Sir, if I may interrupt." Rex chimed in. "With the amount of wounded clones we have we can't take them with us. Not all of them."

"Will we need them?" Obi-Wan looked at me for an answer.

"Honestly, I don't know." I shrugged. "If what we find can really destroy Arthas he's sure to be sending people out to guard the place. That is, if he knows of its existence. I think we'll need a few clones just to be sure, the strongest, but not too many."

"Then I suggest we take Rex and a small platoon." Anakin said. "And make sure none of them try to find any eggs again."

Rex chuckled softly, remembering how the Griffin attacked us last time. "I'll be sure to remind them."

"What if Arthas himself is there?" Finn questioned as he worriedly glanced at me. "I assume that last time you met he wasn't very keen on letting you kill him."

"Well, then..." My mind went back to the previous battle. I hadn't even managed to hold out more than 5 minutes against him. His powers were too great for any of us to combat. "We won't have any choice but to run. But as far as I know us, we probably would do something stupid and die." Chuckling softly my gaze went to Obi-Wan.

"There are too many people counting on us." He said sternly. His eyes were narrowed in thought and his fingers were repeatedly tracing his beard. He shrugged, a small smile playing on his lips when he looked up. "Anakin and I have beaten worse odds."

"Let's hope you'll do it again." Finn's worried glance didn't falter. "Because I don't want to be the one to explain to my husband how I let our favourite doctor die."

"She'll be quite safe with us, trust me." Anakin laid his hand on his shoulder. "What can I say, she's growing on me." He glanced at me sideways and smirked, making a warm feeling spread through my body. "Maybe a little bit more on some of us, but-"

"Anakin!" Obi-Wan stopped him before he could finish whatever he was going to say. His former apprentice only chuckled in response, but when my eyes narrowed at him he suddenly became very conscious of the fact that there was no water near.

"Generals, if there is nothing more, I'd like to get back to my wounded troopers." Cody shuffled on his feet.

"Do you want me to take a look, captain?" Even though my legs were weak due to exhaustion, I offered to help.

"Thank you, princess, but they'll be fine." Cody smiled in gratitude. "I'll only need master Finn to accompany me to get some more supplies."

"I'm right behind you, captain." Finn answered and lifted himself back on his feet, following behind the two captains as they conversed about their wounded and which troopers they were going to send on the mission.

My eyes followed them as they left the room, somehow feeling guilty that I'd dragged them into all of this. Of course, I left out the part where they were only breathing because of me.

"You think this will work?" Obi-Wan shook me from my thoughts when the door was closed. I looked up and saw him and Anakin looking at me expectantly.

"Honestly, I don't know." I sighed deeply. "Arthas is... He's powerful." my eyes fixed on the location of Eagles fall on the map. "And we've lost the support of most of my people. We're alone in this fight. It's all up to us."

"The people, they supported someone called Fireheart." Obi-Wan noted and then his eyes lifted up to me. "Is there any chance you're his daughter or relative?"

"That would make things a lot easier, wouldn't it?" I chuckled softly. "But no. Anduin died 200 years ago just after he defeated Arthas. He had no relatives left, no sons or daughters. I'd make me a lot older than I am now, and a lot more powerful. "

Anakin huffed, folding his arms before his chest. "Who is this Anduin anyway? Must've been quite some guy for them to support him still."

"They called him the Phoenix." A smile played on my lips as I remembered all the stories my father used to tell about him. "A born leader. He brought all the clans together to fight against Arthas. When he called, they all answered. He brought hope to the whole kingdom when there was none." The story itself brought hope, it seemed. Both jedi watched in amazement as they saw it appear in my eyes.

"He wasn't just a king, he was a legend. He changed everything. He burned with the power of the sun, as a beacon of hope, and so flew across the whole planet and brought everyone with him. Where the Phoenix came more people followed, and with that he brought Arthas to his knees. He sacrificed his own life so that the timeturners could capture him."

Sighing softly as I finished the story, I cast my eyes down when I realized how excited I had gotten. "But he's gone, and I'll never be like him."

Both jedi shuffled slightly on their feet when their words got stuck in their mouths. "Well..." Anakin coughed awkwardly when Obi-Wan continued to shamelessly stare at me. "We'll find out soon enough." He walked towards me and patted me on my shoulder. "See you tomorrow, princess."

"Sleep well, Anakin." I watched him leave, too shy to look back at Obi-Wan. Realizing that we were left in the room together made me nervous, but in a good way. My body was on high alter and every sound send sparks through me. When his deep voice filled the room again, my eyes darted to his immediately.

"We should go as well." He said pensively while not even sparing me a glance, slowly walking towards the door. When he was just past me, I spoke softly.

"Already changing your mind?" I was reminded how he had rejected me just a few days back. Satine was still fresh in his mind, I was sure, and her death was still haunting him every day. I could understand that he wasn't ready for anything else yet, but the doubt in him was killing me. Not because I was rejected but because I could feel it. I could feel his sorrow, his hesitation and his desperation to hide his emotions. As a jedi he never was very good at handling these things.

Obi-Wan froze in his steps. "Oh, I'm not." He chuckled softly. I turned around to look at him in confusion, not expecting him to deny it so bluntly. His eyes sparked with joy as he spoke again. "I fear we're both already in too deep." He then frowned as his hand softly stroked the bare skin on my arms, making goosebumps appear almost immediately. "But we have to be careful with this." His eyes connected with mine. "If it ever gets out of hand, if we bring danger to anyone else, if we have to choose-"

"We end it." I finished his sentence. "I know."

He smiled softly yet sadly as his hand went up to my cheek. "I knew you would." Obi-Wan pulled me down, placing a soft kiss on the top of my head as his thumb traced patterns on my skin. As he let go he placed his hand on my back, guiding me towards the hallway. "Come princess, we should get some sleep."

 I hope you're all healthy and doing okay! I'm sorry this chapter and the coming updates will be a bit slow. Research is kinda taking all of my time and sadly it is a priority right now. Knowing you're all safe and staying home will make it a lot better though.  Let me know!