Ο Κ Τ Ω

R H A R I A N    F I E L D S,    E L E U S I S

He did return, as Kyane had predicted, the transparent chains of the siren forcing him back. However, this time before sauntering inside the temple, he sought Persephone the way the lion seeks the antelope.

Slowly.

Decisively.

Soundlessly.

He found her lying by the river, her body stretched in an odd angle, ankles and wrists under the water, playing peacefully as the moon slowly took its rightful place in the afternoon sky. There was a strange sense of melancholia in her movements, a feeling that slithered closer to him and attempted to enter his body. He paid it no mind. It was not as if he didn't already possess it in abundance.

It was not long after that he caught her gaze, the olive eyes widening in surprise. He tapped his fingers against his crown twice as she watched, transfixed and abandoned her there without a single spoken word as he stepped through the vast copse of trees, knowing that she'd follow him.

"You returned." The Goddess stated the second she reached the final step, the marble cool against her bare feet. She sounded out of breath. There were no flowers in her hair this time, only shivers that ran up her spine. She blamed the marble for that, unwilling to admit the truth. "And they have the audacity to say that you never wander to the surface."

Once again, he'd been staring at her statue.

Once again, he'd been reaching for the flowers the statue held in its hands.

"I don't." Came his collected yet somewhat amused response. "Not unless there is good reason."

Her heart grew frantic at his words, loud and painful and seeking an escape. Foolish, so very foolish. "Perhaps, I should consider this visit an honour. After all, this is the second time you've graced me with your presence, my Lord, and it's only been a few days."

His tongue darted out to lick his bottom lip, a wicked smile dancing at the corners of his stubbornly downturned lips. "Yes, perhaps, you should."

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, Anax, but your reason has yet to return."

"Who said that was my only reason?"

He provoked her. With his words, with his eyes, he provoked her to step closer into the lion's den. Was she to be eaten? She could not say.

She could only hope.

Persephone hesitated on the top step, fearing that her trembling knees would fail her. Not even her lungs were to be trusted, failing to accept oxygen as they were.

She stole a moment then, a single, insignificant moment and traced the sharp jawline, which was almost concealed by the dark beard he wore so well, with her gaze. Then, she took notice of the cloudy grey temples and the hair that curled around his neck. She briefly wondered if they'd be soft to the touch, or if they'd be coarse like his hands and battle worn skin.

Before she could find the answer the moment was gone and she willed her body forward, reaching the centre of the room without even realising it. Her arms curved around the statue that wore her face, dreading to even graze the one of her mother, knowing that all she'd gain was guilt.

The Kore cupped the cheek of stone, mimicking his caresses from before by drawing circles on it with the pad of her thumb. "You shouldn't say such things."