Chapter 23: Gaining What Was Lost

Start from the beginning

Abby POV

When we went to school, everybody was surrounding Kirishima, Uraraka, and Tsu. Apparently they had made the news with their work studies. I congratulated them, but my mind was still on other things. I chose to ignore my thoughts and talk to my friends. I refused to talk to Bakugo, considering he looked pissed. I went on the rest of the day like normal, and when I went to bed, I barely slept, but I still managed to wake up. Midoriya and I were about to head to our work studies when we ran into Kirishima. It was very coincidental, but I was glad for the company. Tsu and Uraraka had joined us, and I realized we were all going the same way. I decided to be lazy and have Kirishima give me a piggyback ride, which he didn't like at first. "Kiri! I want a piggyback ride!" He looked over at me like I'd grown two heads. "I'm not giving you a piggyback ride. That's unmanly" I sighed, not wanting to do this to him already, but he left me no choice. "But, Kiri, it's even more unmanly to let a girl walk when her feet hurt..." I added a little pout and that's all it took for him to carry me on his back. I carried his and my backpack since he couldn't have me on his back with his backpack.

We had ran into the Big Three, and that's when I decided to get off Kirishima's back. I returned his backpack and skipped with the third years. We entered the building we were supposed to go into and saw a bunch of heroes talking to each other. I looked around a minute and landed sights on my target. I skipped over and greeted them. "For once in my life I get to call you two by your hero names." Mom and dad turned around and mom instantly crushed me in a hug. "What are you doing here? I'm going to have quite the talk with your father after this." I pulled away from the hug and saw her glaring at dad. I laughed and explained I was here with my hero study. She didn't like that, but I walked away before she could argue. I stayed near Tamaki, not wanting to have much of a social interaction. He was great at keeping people away with his shyness.

We were then going to start the meeting that we were here for. I was nervous, seeing that I knew so little about what was going on. I moved back to Mirio and Midoriya and got super fidgety. We were sat down, and started explaining the basic things that I already knew from Nighteye's work study. I was sitting in between Mirio and Midoriya, but even though I knew them, it didn't help my nerves. They talked about how Overhaul was seen talking with a villain named Twice. I recognized him, and tensed up. Gran Torino talked about something and then turned to Midoriya and I and said that we were dragged into troublesome stuff. Midoriya said it wasn't troublesome, but I didn't feel that way either. Rock Lock, who was sitting next to Midoriya, had asked why us students were here, and Fat Gum had said that Tamaki and Kirishima had important information. He then went to introduce himself and I was all for his cheerful attitude.

Fat Gum explained that Tamaki was shot with a bullet that destroys quirks. He said he was fine, and showed us that he had his quirk back. Fat Gum talked about how they had managed to get a bullet filled with the drug thanks to Kirishima, who used his hardening and it bounced off him. Inside was human blood and cells. We all froze at that. I was reminded of Eri, who had bandages covering her arms and legs.

We talked about Chisaki, whose quirk allowed him to destroy things and fix them at will. They then mentioned Eri, and how she had bandages. I was stunned, forced silent. We were then put on the hot seat by Rock Lock. He blamed us for not protecting Eri. This guy was starting to get on my nerves, but I wasn't about to get pissed at him over things he didn't know. The two next to me stood up and said they were going to save Eri next time. They were in sync and I almost thought they were reading each other's minds.

We were going to locate where Eri was based on other heroes searching the lands of Hassaikai. It was a lengthy process, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. We were that much closer to finding the people who were gone. Siblings. Children. People who need help. I couldn't seem to get it out of my head. I had this feeling in my gut that Eri was with Ashton and Ashlynn. I heard dad walk in, but I barely registered anything he said or did. I noticed when everybody got up to leave, but I didn't move. When everybody left, I turned my head to dad. "Are you going to tell me what's been bothering you since you started you're work study?" I sighed and decided that he should know.