I told you so (Part II)

Start from the beginning

Todd stared up at his friend for what seemed like an eternity.
Finally, he broke eye contact, dropping his head in shame.

"I...

no..."

David only shook his head in disgust, before storming out of the house.

          —  THREE MONTHS LATER  —

It was 10 in the morning; David was sat on the couch, editing his latest vlog.
Now that the quarantine was over, they could all get back to posting, and the Vlogsquad took full advantage of it.

People however, were starting to notice that Natalie was no longer on Todd's Instagram stories and that that Todd was not appearing in David's vlogs anymore. They were coming up with all kinds of theories as to why. Almost all of them involved a break up, but no one knew for sure the reason for the break up.
David wasn't going to address it.

He had been told by Zane and Scott how bad Todd felt. How he had been sulking for days and that he never goes out of the house anymore. They said that Todd is truly remorseful and just wants to be friends again.

David didn't care.
While he was, in a way, betrayed, it wasn't nearly to the degree that his best friend was.
Until Natalie got an apology, David wasn't going to waste his time thinking about Todd.

One thing he had been noticing, was that him and Natalie have been getting even closer the last few months. Flirting, hugging, and even a few pecks on the cheek here and there.

When she allowed David to hold her as she cried, Natalie had exposed a side of herself that he had never seen before. She had hid her emotions well when she ended her relationship with Shawn by burying herself in her work.
It touched him that she trusted him to see her in such a way.

David was shaken from his thoughts by a knock at the door.
Taylor was about to go open it, until she was stopped by a hand on her shoulder.
It was David.
"I'll take this one."
Taylor slowly nodded and went to go busy herself by sweeping the garage. She didn't want any part in their drama.

David opened the door.
Todd had obviously seen better days.
There were bags under his eyes, his hair was a mess, and it was obvious that he had gained a few pounds from his lack of exercise.
David felt slight pity for him, but he quickly pushed it from his mind. Todd didn't deserve pity.

He got straight to the point.
"What do you want Todd?"
"Can- can I talk to Natalie?"
David crossed his arms.
"Natalie is asleep at the moment, I wouldn't want to wake her. Especially if it's you—"

David was interrupted by a hand on his shoulder. It was Natalie. Taylor hadn't gone to sweep the garage. She had actually gone to wake Natalie, afraid that a fight was going to break out between the two boys. One that she knew she could never get under control.

"It's okay Dave," Natalie said. "Go finish your vlog, I'll handle it."
David glanced at Todd, then at her. He reluctantly nodded and walked back inside; but not before shooting Todd a small glare, and giving Natalie a peck on the cheek for good luck.
"Holler if you need me," he whispered in her ear. Natalie nodded, giving David's arm a reassuring squeeze.

Now it was Natalie's turn to cross her arms.
"Okay, I'm listening."
"So... you and Dave huh?"
Natalie's eyes narrowed.
"My love life is none of your business, especially not anymore."
Todd gulped. Natalie continued.
"But if you MUST know, no, we are not together. You broke my heart and he spent the last three months trying to put the pieces back together."
Todd sighed. "Look Natalie, I'm so sorry I led you on like that, believe me I am. I just... I don't know... I thought the both of us knew it was just something casual."
"And I thought we were building something real." Natalie growled.

Todd looked down. "I know, and I'm truly sorry for that. I just want to be friends again. I've missed you... as a friend!" He quickly added. Natalie's gaze softened.
"I've missed you too... as a friend."
They both chuckled a little.

"To be honest, I think somewhere deep down, I knew we weren't going to last, even if it got serious." Natalie admitted.
"I don't like it when there's a fight in the friend group."
Todd nodded. "Me neither, that's why I want to fix things. I know I can't make it right today or even next month, but I'll do everything I can to do so."
" 'To do so!' Toddy Smith can speak formally! Who knew?" Natalie joked.
They both chuckled again.

"So... are we good?" Todd asked hesitantly.
Natalie smiled softly.
"Yeah. We're good." They quickly hugged, before Todd bade his goodbyes and got back into his car.
"Hey Natalie," He called. "Good luck with David, he's lucky to have you!"
Natalie blushed a little, before nodding and waving Todd goodbye as he drove off.

Natalie shut the front door and walked to the kitchen. Taylor had finally gone to clean the garage, leaving just her and David.
He looked at her in both curiosity and sympathy.
"How'd it go?" He gently asked her.

Natalie wrapped her arms around David, pulling him into a hug, one that he returned.
"It went good," Natalie whispered. "I forgave him, we're all good now. I know I can't force you to, but I think you should forgive him too."

David slowly nodded. "I'll think about it."
"David..." Natalie warned.
"I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I'll talk to him next time I go up to their house."

Natalie sighed and leaned into him, resting her head on David's chest.
"You know?" Natalie started. "I never really understood why everyone shipped us until now..."
David looked down at the girl in his arms.
"This whole thing has made me realize that... that what my heart truly wanted was right in front of me this whole time. I love you, with all my heart."

Natalie quickly realized that she had rambled for too long, and looked up at her best friend.
His eyes were wide in shock and wonder.
Natalie quickly broke the hug, stepping out of his arms.
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I uh... I'm going to go take a shower."

Before Natalie could get any further, she felt herself getting grabbed and pulled back into David's arms.
"I've wanted to hear you say those words ever since I met you." David admitted.
He cupped her face in his hands and smiled at her. "I love you too."

David then closed the gap and kissed her.