Chapter 1 I can't Stand the Rain

Father always tells me that I am a strong and brave girl. I admit it always boosts my confidence, but tonight I proof him wrong. I am not a brave girl nor a courageous one. I clench my eyes tightly and press my hands to cover my ears when the loud thunder once again strikes in the pouring night. In the dark, by myself, I tremble in fear. Thunder storms are my eternal enemies.

When I was young, I made an unfavorable memory with thunder. I was playing in the backyard when out of no where the cloud darkens and a thunder stroked. I remember that incident clearly:  I was alone in the backyard, father and his team are busy discussing a plan to expose a dark dealing in a small club in Itaewon. They kept an eye on me from the window, but as I said earlier the thunder stroked out of the blue and so sudden. It managed to hit me when I was using the swing. I fell to the ground and did not know what happen. Turns out everyone was surprised by the thunder and when they look outside the window, they saw me on the ground; unconscious. Taeyong and Baekhyun rushed me to the hospital and lucky me, the thunder did not kill me. It only leave a little scar on my right shoulder and the traumatic memory in my mind. After that, I have always been terrified by thunder storms. Father tried hiring a therapist, but I am still unable to overcome the fear.

The loud voice once again echoes through my room and I curl myself to a fetal position under my blanket. My body shakes tremendously and I pray someone will come and get me. The team was having another urgent meeting around this week. It happens three months after I go to my elementary school. Right now I am seven and three months into it, Father has been busy holding unplanned meetings and he seems frustrated. I don't ask him what's in his mind.. it's an unwritten rule that I must never put my nose in their business. They said it was too dangerous for me. All I know is my father works hard to feed me, dress me, and most importantly keep me safe.

A lightning flashes through my curtains and as I prepare myself for one more frightening shock, my door opens and Mark is here. He swiftly turns my lights on.. well beside thunders I am a coward in the dark. And since earlier I was set for bed already, the only light was from my night lamp. Because I am afraid of the thunder, I cannot bring myself to light the master lamp in my room, I can only close my eyes.. meet darkness which scares me.. and hear thunders which call the weakest side of me. What a combination!

"I'm here (y/n). The lights are on. Open your eyes and your ears. The thunder is no longer here. Listen the rain is slowing down." Mark walks to my side and grabs a chair to sit beside my bed.

"Breathe in.. breathe out.. steady.. calm.." he instructs me the normal breathing cycle whenever someone has a shock. After making sure my heartbeat is back to normal, he plucks a tissue and gently dabs the corn seed sweats on my forehead.

"I'm sorry I cannot come sooner. We did not hear the thunders before the last one, everyone is concentrated on the talk. But I'm here now.. so.. let me guard you." Mark fixes his working shirt. He rolls the sleeves and relaxes on his chair. The office is located on the west wing of this big mansion, while my room and the living quarter is on the east side. It makes sense for Mark to take some time when crossing the building.

"Mark... is father stressed out lately? He is getting super busy... and.. I miss him." I sigh and stare into the distance.

"Yes he is busy... well, he misses you to. He misses playing with you under the sun, sleeping beside you, and eating lunch with you." Mark scoots closer to my bedside.

"That's what you said.. he never.. he never tells me if he misses me. Appa is always in his office room. All mysterious and dark. Am I even his daughter? Does he forget I am here to?! It's been two days since I saw him." I venture my rage. Yes I haven't seen my dad for a good two days. Every morning he is busy preparing for his work, and at night he either leaves the house secretly with Taemin or Ten and Baekhyun.. then returns at dawn. I once peek over my door and saw how messy he looks. Some other time I find myself awaken in the middle of the night alone. I press my bell to call whoever hears the bell, and no one from SuperM shows up. Only the house maid came to my room. I am too young to understand their work, I actually did not know my father is a mafia boss. I only know he needs to deal with his work at all time of day.

"Well why don't you sleep and ask him tomorrow? I'm sure he will answer you. Right now I need you to go back to sleep, and I need to be back on duty." He tidies up my blanket. Tucks me in and starts singing his lullaby.

"Fine! I can't stand father and the rain... gosh why must the rain pours tonight out of all nights! My mood is ruined. Okay Mark I'm heading to bed." I forcefully close my eyes and back face Mark. A sign whenever I am sad or cranky.

I want to blurt out more protest and force him to tell me the truth, but forget it. Every night I tried to talk about this subject, Mark always forces me back to sleep. He is an expert in cutting down a conversation and mood. No wonder he's single.

His sweet lullaby drives me to my dreamland faster than a jet. I weave my dream with my steady breathing and Mark slides out of the room back to the sacred area of the house I am forbidden to come : the office.

"Well it is set. Starting from tomorrow one of us will be responsible to drop and pick (y/n) up from school." Taeyong calmly closes tonight's discussion.

"What did I miss?" Mark returns to his working mode.

"Well as you can see, we received a threat message from Miss Kwon. She desperately wants to have Taeyong back. He turns her down over and over again, and she decides to play dirty." Baekhyun explains from his chair.

He continues "Mark, we want to make sure our precious little Queen is not disturbed by Miss Kwon. Since Miss Kwon began contacting us three months ago; the same months (y/n) has gone to school, Lucas kind of sense a pattern. He doesn't know what.. but he suggests we start putting our attention to (y/n)."

"So, out of all of us... you're the most reliable when it comes to sitting (y/n). I cannot do this because I'll blow everything out. You know I never attend school projects and others because the crowds will freak out upon seeing me." Taeyong smirks and the team laughs.

"So... I will be responsible for (y/n)'s school drop and pick up?" Mark concludes with a question.

The whole team nods and the meeting ends with the baton passed to Mark.

In The last day of Summer, August ended with a heavy thunder storm. Tomorrow we will enter the romantic season, Autumn.

Everybody wishes Autumn will be filled with good memories.