"Hisoka."

At the sound of her voice, I turned towards her. "What is it?"

"Have you ever lost someone?" I felt her eyes land on mine with a fiery intensity. "Someone you desperately want to see again. Someone you could have saved, if only you were stronger."

For some reason, I froze. Even the voices in my head went quiet.

Have I... lost someone?

"No... I don't think I have," I lied.

Kira ~

I turned and met Hisoka's golden eyes.

"Have you ever lost someone? Someone you desperately want to see again. Someone you could have saved, if only you were stronger."

For a brief moment, he was taken back. A glimmer of confusion flickered in his eyes. Or was it just my imagination? As quickly as it came, it disappeared, and he regained his usual disposition.

"No... I don't think I have," he answered with a small smile.

But for some reason, his face was unreadable. He wasn't telling the truth, but at the same time it wasn't a complete lie. It seemed almost as if he was... uncertain.

"Oh, lucky you." I replied, deciding to let it go. It didn't matter anyway. Why am I even asking him?

"Sorry."

Puzzled, I looked at him. "What for?"

"For not being able to empathise."

"It's not your fault." I sighed. Now I feel bad for involving him.

"But I can make you feel better." He smiled, pulling out a deck of cards. "Would you like to see a magic trick?"

"Sure." I guess it couldn't hurt.

In one dramatic movement, he fanned the cards out, faced down before me. "Pick a card. Any card. But don't show me."

Wow, it's one of these tricks. Playing along, I pulled out a random card. Ace of Hearts.

I watched as Hisoka elaborately shuffled through the cards, switching them from one hand to another. Finally, he stopped, looking at the deck in satisfaction. He took the top card, flipping it to reveal... the Ace of Hearts?

"Is this your card?" He inquired triumphantly.

"Yes... but... hey, that's cheating! You've got two of them!"

"Fine," he feigned a tone a defeat, before a enigmatic smile crept onto his face. "How about you reveal the next card then?"

What could he possibly have up his sleeve? I reached out and flipped over the top card. Ace of Hearts. Again.

"Why... how?" I was incredulous. "Wait, don't tell me your whole deck is full of Ace of Hearts."

"Of course not." He smiled mysteriously.

What is he up to now?

With a flourish, he threw the entire deck in the air. To my astonishment, the cards began to morph, turning into hundreds of scarlet butterflies. I gasped in amazement, as the butterflies fluttered around us in a blur of red.

So beautiful...

I spun around laughing. This is like... magic! He really is a magician.

I looked back at Hisoka in awe. Who knew he was capable of conjuring such marvellous wonder?

Hisoka ~

I watched in satisfaction as Kira twirled around, admiring the butterflies with an expression of awe. For once, her guard was lowered, as she lost herself in the moment. That was when I realised this was the first time I've seen her genuinely smile. I'd always thought it was her ice cold attitude that I found myself drawn to. But now, upon seeing the child-like, wondrous smile that graced her face, I decided that smiling suited her a bit more.

Perhaps she noticed me staring, because she turned.

How long exactly was I staring for? Is she creeped out? I know I can be creepy but please don't get the wrong idea, I was just...

To my surprise, her face brightened, and she took a step towards me. She reached out and held both of my hands in hers, looking up at me with warmth in her eyes. "Thank you."

I quickly recovered. "You are most welcome, Sweetheart." I smiled back, giving her hands a reassuring squeeze.

After that, we sat side by side, talking about aimless things. Well, to be more precise, I was rambling and she mostly just listened, occasionally adding a few words. But she did seem happier now. This was the first time I've performed that trick, to a decent audience, at least. Illumi never appreciated my magic. He called them "flimsy circus tricks for deceiving children". So it made me glad that Kira liked it.

Gradually silence fell between us. Not an uncomfortable silence, but a rather tranquil one. I glanced at her, gazing calmly out the window, the starry night sky reflected in her silver eyes. Right now, she looked so at peace. It was hard to imagine that less than an hour ago she was an inch from breaking point. She seemed so fragile, yet her eyes flamed with some sort of madness. Madness beyond comprehension.

I'm one to talk.

I looked over at her again, and realised she'd fallen asleep. She was leaning forward against the counter, her head resting on her arms.

How can she possibly fall asleep beside me? Surely she realises I can kill her right now if I wanted to. I wouldn't put it past myself. Hell, I'd even stab Illumi if given the opportunity. Does she really trust me that much? I know I wouldn't. What a foolish decision.

Nevertheless, I gently picked her up. If another candidate finds her, she's dead meat for sure.

I carried her back to her room, and tucked her in bed. "Sleep well, Sweetheart, and grow strong. I look forward to fighting you in the future, Kira Night."

As I left the room, her earlier question echoed in my head. "Have you ever lost someone?" The harder I tried to block it out, the louder and more relentless it became.

Have I lost someone?

~~~~

Hi, thanks for reading!

I'm trying to slowly start filling in on their backgrounds, and hopefully it adds more depth to the characters, and explains some things. I'm still not entirely sure about Hisoka's background, but yeah, I'm working on it.

Thanks again, and please feel free to give feedback or suggestions.

~ krypto