i. invitation

Chapter One,

Invitation

An amused smile dimpled the cheeks of the soft beauty behind the counter as she patiently waited for the young group of boys to count their cash. They nervously fumbled their hands, dropping change and picking it up every other second, and then tossed her an embarrassed, apologetic gaze.

"S-sorry, Yuly," one of the boys stammered.

Yuly chuckled softly. This group of boys was a regular sight, often seeking her book recommendations while sneakily prying into her personal life—whether she was single, how old she was. Things the young boys had no need to know. She shook her head slightly, pushing strands of her long, ebony curls from her face.

She was used to the occurrence. Yuliana was, and always had been, a beautiful woman. With her small, heart-shaped face and dark doe eyes that slightly slanted upward, she was a beauty. Her beauty was only enhanced by the soft, natural makeup she wore to conceal her slight imperfections, rose blush tinting her cheeks and mascara coating her lashes. As always, a minty, tinted pink gloss finished her look, offsetting her pouty lips.

Her soft, sensual beauty, combined with the curves she naturally possessed, drew the attention of many now and in college. Then, she had been self-conscious of her figure, wishing she were thinner, like her sister. Now, she embraced it. It was a sharp contrast to what she had done when she was younger, wearing oversized shirts to hide her ample breasts and wrapping jackets around her waist to hide the way her full hips swayed when she walked.

She remembered eliciting similar reactions from boys when she worked in her college library. It made her uncomfortable everywhere she went.

But now, she found their reactions more amusing than anything. It was harmless. And if it got the young boys to read, instead of scroll through social media, she would let it slide.

With a nervous smile, the tallest boy among them passed her their money. His eyes were nervous, yet bright, as they watched her put the change in the register. She handed them their bags with a bright smile. "See you later, boys."

The boys smiled and turned on their way, promises to return soon falling from their lips. She didn't doubt it. After all, they were among her more consistent visitors.

Yuly sighed, stretching loosely as her eyes scanned the empty bookstore. It was a calm Saturday evening, and the store would later be filled with her regulars. College students who were swamped with work and wanted to relax often sat upstairs, at the tables beside the espresso machines. They would purchase a book to read during their breaks or come and chat with her about their weeks.

Elderly women would later come for a book club meeting in one of the reserved rooms in the back. She had a busy day ahead of her, and this break would be one of few. For that, she was grateful. There were many bookstores in New York, far better than hers and much larger. But for some reason, her beautiful vintage-style bookstore, Yuly's Corner, had accumulated quite the following.

The melodious chime of the door interrupted her thoughts, and her smile brightened as she recognized her neighbor—the owner of the Italian restaurant next to her bookstore and a resident of the multiplex on top of their stores. Nonna, she'd taken to calling the old Italian woman. The elderly woman was a vision of eternal youth, her long white hair purposely curled, flowing down to her waist. She wore a polka dot dress with a classic design, reminiscent of the black and white movies Yuly had watched with her grandmother as a child. Nonna's painted red lips curved into a smile as she glanced at the young woman.

"Do you have a book for me today, passerotta? But ah—no more soldiers." The woman scrunched her nose, her Italian accent coating her every word. "They are all the same. Rude, unfaithful, impatient. They call this a romance? No, no, no."