seven - optimistic

"you're sure about this?" i looked over at beverly, "my mom would kill me!"

her pale fingers brushed back her short hair in a habitual manner as she let out a sigh. for what?" she looked over, "going out in the middle of the day on a weekend?" she let out a laugh.

"no," i explained, "for not telling her i'm leaving, especially going to a stranger's house!"

"we're not strangers!"

"you and my mom are!"

beverly rolled her eyes and continued walking, "besides, we're not going to my house!"

i let out a scoff and crossed my arms. she didn't mind my behavior however. she would just let out and sigh with a fond smile. i wasn't actually angry; i just enjoyed being right. she started playing a beat with the rubber band on her wrist instead of starting a new conversation. i stared down at her swollen wrist. the pain almost seemed familiar to beverly. she didn't care.

"why are you even kidnapping me and dragging me to richie's house?" i asked.

"not kidnapping you," she pointed, "i told you to follow me, and you did." she shrugged. "thought you'd like spending time with your polar opposite," she explained, "i need balance anyways before we end up going off the deep end of stupidity."

i nodded. i didn't think i was the polar opposite, but i still understood. my teeth rested on my tongue gently as we continued walking in comfortable silence. i stared down at my white nike's cortezes as they trekked down the rocky street. my eyes wandered along all of the houses as beverly and i turned into a street. the houses were obnoxiously average. most had boring colored (a light yellow or steel blue) siding and grey roofs. the grass in every lawn varied in length and liveliness. the only people outside were two teenage girls, but they were merely staring into at the grey clouds while petting their grey dog.

it's no wonder richie preferred cloudy skies.

"not the most exciting street in town," beverly started, "but the houses have a nice middle class look. it's old people."

"i wouldn't imagine richie living on this street," i thought aloud, "it's so dead." my hand stuck out and pointed at all of the houses.

"again, it's just old people; with the exception of the tozier's and the family with those two girls."

i let out an ah before continuing to walk in the sweet silence. the only noise was the faint sound of birds and our shoes stepping on rocks that were scattered along the grey street. i occasionally kicked the larger ones just to give my mind something to do.

when we finally walked up to the tozier driveway, i scanned the house. the lawn was well cut, but nothing was necessarily exciting to look at. it had faint yellow siding and a grey roof with white doors and shutters. it was an average ranch house on an average street in an average town. it was just...

"average," beverly started, "but better than some parts of town."

i nodded.

after beverly pressed the doorbell, we heard a very faint but clear just a minute and waited as the footsteps came closer and closer to the door. the door was quickly pulled open to reveal a tall, tan woman with long, dark brown hair that was pinned pack almost perfectly. she looked to be in her early forties, as she wore clothes that expressed the seventies fashion movement.

optimistic

"hi, missus tozier!" beverly smiled.

"hello, beverly, darling, and-" she looked at me with a puzzled look. her blue eyes stared into my brown ones with curiosity, burning like frost bite. her lips were chapped, much like richie's always were, but the rest of her face was almost timeless. my mother, similar to many women in their forties, had wrinkles that weren't there when she was younger and had given up on covering the imperfections that were caused by their flawed lifestyle. however, the woman with long legs and healthy hair that stood in front of me looked like she had never dealt with stress in her life.