seven; photograph

"September?" Mackenzie asked softly. My heart began to beat faster and the room began to spin just as fast.

"I'm okay. Just need to sit," I said. I backed away from the computer and sat on Hudson's bed. Mackenzie plopped down next to me. She gave me a sincere, questioning look and asked, "What's going on in your mind? You can't just hide your emotions all time."

"Static," I stated. It was silent for what felt like years before I decided to speak up. "I can't focus, can't think. Everything in my head is just so, so fucking loud. I thought things were finally getting less shitty, you know? My grades are getting better. I can actually focus when I try. It's dumb of me for feeling good because I know good things don't last with me. And my mom is not my mom? Fantastic." I came to realization that I was crying.

"September," Hudson whispered. He slipped a small pebble into my hand. It was a tradition for him to give Mackenzie and I one of these whenever life wasn't quite on our side. I have a bunch of these stored in a mason jar in my room. He never knew what to do or say during tough situations. He came up with this to make up for the lack of words.

"We don't know for sure," Mackenzie explained, trying to comfort me. She pulled me into a tight hug.

"How will we know for sure?" I stuttered.

Hudson furrowed his eyebrows. Mackenzie fixed her glasses. These were their classic thinking gestures. Mackenzie shot up from the bed and rummaged through her blue bag. From the bag, she took out a notebook and began to write. Hudson moved next to Mackenzie to see what she was up to. She spun the notebook around and showed us her masterpiece. It was some sort of flow chart.

"Hudson your job is to do some more research on this situation. Find addresses. Work. Ancestors. Social media, anything," Mackenzie explained.

Hudson nodded, "Easy peasy Japanesy." He began researching for information straightaway. He took off his dark blue flannel and was now wearing a white t-shirt. That's when you know shit was about to go down.

"What does that even mean? You know what? Forget it. I will also do some research of my own. I'll hit the books and find articles on this. I'll find information on kidnapping. To catch a criminal, we must think like one," she stated and raised one of her eyebrows. "September you will do more of the physical work. First step, you are going to ask your 'mom' for pictures from your childhood. Say it is for a school project. Once you get the pictures, come to me. Got it?" Mackenzie spoke quickly.

I nodded slowly, "Got it. But could you just repeat everything you just said?" This earned me a groan from both Hudson and Mackenzie in unison.

~

I breathed in deep breaths. Sat on the edge of my bed, I was anticipating my mother's arrival  any minute now. As I tried to concentrate on the task, other things came rushing into my mind. Before losing complete focus, the front door opened on cue.

"September, I'm home!" My mother shouts from the main entrance. I frantically hauled ass downstairs.

"Hi Mom," I tried to speak steadily. "How was work?"

"Alright," she sighed. She put her car keys and her purse on the kitchen counter.

"I need something from you."

"When do you not," she chuckled. It seemed as if she had a good day. No smell of alcohol or signs that she'd been with that jackass of a boyfriend.

"I need pictures for family class." I didn't take a family class. I knew I should've rehearsed what I was going to say before executing this. On the other hand, she doesn't pay any mind to my education. She shifted from her right leg to her left, shooting me a quizzing glare.

"What kind of pictures?"

"Like pictures of us," I said while smiling. I hoped that she didn't sense my suspicious behavior. I tried to act as natural as possible. I guess you can say acting is my expertise. I played Wendy in 'Peter Pan' for the school play. Hudson did the lights and sound effects. Mackenzie watched quietly from the crowd. Though I might have fallen off the stage and Peter Pan (poor Matt Davis needed a neck brace) ended up swinging everywhere, I was a star.

"September, come up here," she called from upstairs. I didn't realize she left. I must have dozed off. I followed her up. She was sitting on her bed with a small wooden box in her lap. The box had a golden lock. "We used to live in an apartment on the bottom floor. There was a major flood so everything was ruined," she said as she opened the box. "This was the only photo I managed to save. I laminated it to keep it extra safe."

I took the photo and examined it. It was an off-centered picture of a little girl. I was assuming it was me. I was wearing a red shirt with a grass skirt. On top of my head was a crown made out of leaves. "You were Lilo from Lilo and Stitch for Halloween," she laughed. I smiled and gave her a close hug that felt distant. No matter how split my mother's personality was, she had always held my trust. Now I didn't know if I could trust her.

"Are you sure you don't have anymore? I could check in the attic. That's where all cliché families store their junk. Maybe you forgot you kept some pictures up there. I mean you are like middle aged," I suggested.

"No don't go up there," she said apprehensively. "It is very dusty. Your allergies will act up again. Also, I am not middle aged! I am only 42 and I look hot for my age!"

I nodded and returned to my bedroom. I didn't bother faking a laugh at her attempted joke. The whole situation felt too sketchy. I texted Mackenzie and Hudson right away on IM:

SeptemberNotTheMonth: i got it

PresidentialCeal: Marvelous bring it to school tomorrow

Hudson_river98: Hell yeah and mack ur name on here is stupid :)

PresidentialCeal: Tell me why you still use emoticons like its 2008

Hudson_river98: Don't question me, for I am the great Hudson River in NYC

SeptemberNotTheMonth: so ur saying that ur dirty and too mainSTREAM? i deadass just killed myself laughing

PresidentialCeal: I'm going to bed. I'm mentally unable to handle you guys. Both of you shut up and bring that picture in tomorrow

❀❀❀