"And you're sure this doesn't hurt?"

He straightened my leg out immediately and I just raised my eyebrows as if to say, 'is that all you got' and he fell for it hook, line and sinker.

I guessed it was a good thing I was a pretty good liar.

"Alright, you're good to go for tonight, but take it easy.  Don't take unnecessary risks.  I'll let coach Anderson know."

Suddenly, the air in the field house didn't reek of sweat and turf.  The world wasn't dark and out to get me.  In that moment, I had finally got my second chance that I'd been waiting for for so long, and I wasn't about to fuck it up.

What in the world was I thinking?  How could I go to school the next day with nothing to wear?  It was like I was terrified of traveling across town to pick up the things essential for my daily life, but the thought of seeing Nate, possibly with L...

What in the world was I thinking?  How could I go to school the next day with nothing to wear?  It was like I was terrified of traveling across town to pick up the things essential for my daily life, but the thought of seeing Nate, possibly with Layla once again, was so damaging to my waking mind that it was damn near impossible to think about.

"Hey, did you want a ride over to...Nate's apartment?"

Lucas could sense my internal battle before I could even vocalize it, something that he always did even when we were kids.

I threw my head in my hands at the counter and noticed something was off about the dynamics of our little group.

There was Reed, his head in a book and wearing a ridiculously expensive lounge shirt in a deep blue that favored his dark skin.  He came from a more than humble upbringing and could afford everyone's rent in the house three times over but still chose to live here with Lucas, presumably because of the falling out with his parents as he'd come out as gay to them much sooner than he had to the rest of the world.

They didn't cut him off, but they didn't want him living with them, either, and I assumed he wanted to be in the company of others instead of out on his own.

Then there was Lucas, goofing off in usual fashion watching annoyingly loud videos on his phone and dancing absentmindedly to the songs that blared back at him periodically.

My brother was nerdy, and so was Reed but I could relate.  My job was about as nerdy as one could get.

I was a copywriter- basically, someone who writes witty advertisements and descriptions for products.

I didn't have to go in to an office and it was more than convenient when someone would commission me for a piece for ten thousand dollars for just a week of work.

I would only have to do one or two pieces a month and easily made bank.

That's what Nate loves so much about my job, as I paid most of the bills and bought all the groceries and always paid when we went out on dates or out to dinner.

It was only looking back in retrospect that I realized I was just being used, over and over by him in an obvious fashion but I was too in love with him, or rather, the idea of being in a safe and happy relationship, that I chose to ignore it and all the red flags that came along with him.