Prologue

Frank Iero

I walked up to the front gates of hell - I mean school. I walked into the school and towards my locker. Like always, it takes me a twenty tries before I get it open to grab what I need for my classes before lunch. As I was walking to my first period class, I somehow ran into Matt, the schools jackass, and his shitty possy.

"Hey faggot!" He yelled. "Where ya heading? To the bathroom to give some other faggot a blowjob?"

"What's in it to you?" I replied. "You act like you bang some slutty chick in the girls' bathroom every day."

"You better shut the fuck up gay elf."

"Oh. So I'm an elf now? Great comeback manwhore."

He opened his mouth but closed it, knowing that he couldn't think of another comeback.

"What's wrong slut, ran out of nicknames for me?"

Just then, the warning bell rang signalling to everyone we have five minutes to get to class.

"Well, I better get to class. See ya later jackass and the blue crew, considering your all wearing blue. Hey, that's a great boy band name. Your welcome."

I started walking towards my first period class, which was English. The day dragged on very slowly. Lunch consisted of hiding in the library from Matt.

The rest of the day was like this morning, slow as fuck. When music class ended, I jumped out of my seat as fast as possible. I was about to leave Mr. Polini's room, when I was stopped by him.

"Mr. Iero," he said from his tiny office in the back of the music room. "May I speak with you for a few minutes?"

I stepped into his office and sat in the un occupied office chair he had in the office.

"What was it you needed to tell me Mr. Polini?" I asked him.

"Well," He started. "I have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to pick one of my students to join a unique music program at the University of New York in New York City, Brooklyn to be exact. And I picked you."

"But sir, why me?"

"You are one of my greatest students. And I can tell you really enjoy music."

"Thank you sir, but I'm not sure about it. Cause, I'm a junior in High School. Plus I'm only seventeen."

"The entire program is paid by the school, no money out of your parents' pockets what-so-ever. And the E-mail I received said said that most of these students are juniors."

"Okay. Is there anything else?"

"Not really. You will be placed in a dorm with the other students in this program, so it will be like your in college."

I paused to think about it for a moment until I gave him my answer.

"Okay. I guess I'll give it a shot."

"Great! I'll send an E - mail to Professor Langer right away."

I got up from my chair and grabbed my bag and left the room. I reached my locker and put the things I didn't need to bring home in the locker, and the things I needed to bring home in my bag. I slung my bag over my shoulder and put my black hood up and my skeleton gloves on. I walked out of the empty school and put my headphones on and took my ten minute walk home.

~~~~~~~

"Mom!" I yelled when I walked into the house. "I'm home!"

I kicked my white worn-out converse to the side and walked into the kithen.

"Hey mom." I said when I saw her leaning over the stove cooking something.

"Hi Frank." She said. "How was school?"

"Great. Mr. Polini gave me a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to join this music program at the University of New York in Brooklyn! Isn't that great!"

She looked up at me with wide eyes. "Really?"

"Yea."

She looked back down to whatever's cooking in the pot. "I'm sorry Frank, but I refuse you to go."

"What?"

She set the wooden spoon she was holding down and turned the heat down before looking back up at me.

"I'm sorry Frank. Your too young to do something like that."

"Mom. Most of the kids in this program are my age. You should be proud of me. I have a chance to do something I have wanted to do my whole life! Please. Just think about it."

She laughed a little. "Is that why you were home later than usual? Your music teacher was talking to you about this? I thought you meet a boy or something."

My mom knows I'm gay. And she's fine with it. The problem is my dad. He's very . . . homophobic. When I told my parents I was gay, he almost bathed me in holy water the rest of that week. Let's just say my dad comes from a very catholic family. He almost sent me to a catholic high school when I was fourteen. Then he found out I was gay. I think I would have been better off not telling my dad and going to catholic school, if it means I was away from Matt.

"Mom! Don't you remember, I'm the 'gay emo freak.' Which means, nobody likes me. Maybe if I go on this trip, I'll find someone. Plus you won't have to listen to dad complaining about 'what a sin I am to the family.'" I said in my father's voice.

"Alright." She chuckled a little. "You can go. But if you do meet someone, I want to meet him right away."

"Thanks mom!" I hugged her and kissed her cheek.

I ran upstairs to start packing. I was cleaning up underneath my bed, when I found my guitar case.

"Its been so long since I picked up this thing." I thought.

I opened the case to see my beaten-up acoustic guitar. I smiled at the memory when my dad gave it to me for Christmas. But that was a long time ago. I sat on my bed with the guitar in my lap an started strumming the tune to American Idiot by Green Day.