Part 8

Emma inhaled deeply, her eyes still not quite ready to open. She ran her fingers across the silk sheets of the bed, the scent was unmistakable, she knew she was back in Ethan's room. The events of the day before flooded through her mind, her mind focusing on Caleb's face. She felt a warm presence beside her, she naturally gravitated closer till she felt arms wrap round her. The familiar scent overwhelmed her as her eyes slowly started to open.

Ethan watched her slowly awaken, he had been awake for some time but chose not to get up and risk waking her. Tobias had told him a bit more about her abilities whilst she was asleep, she would be a powerful Luna, and a great protector of the pack.

"Where is he?" She whispered, her voice cracking slightly from the grogginess.

"Still in the holding cell" Ethan replied "The guards have been monitoring him closely, he's been chanting to himself for hours but they haven't been able to make out what he's saying"

"He's not chanting" Emma sat up, her eyes wide "He's communicating to the rest of his pack. There'll be more on their way"

They moved in sync as they both jumped out of the bed, Ethan announced a meeting through the mind-link as they walked briskly made their way back to the board room. Emma had grown tired of always finding herself back in this room. With such a big building, you'd think there'd be more than one place to have a meeting, she thought.

It wasn't long before the room was filled with the senior members of the pack, the elders and the guards. Emma looked round the room curiously, the hectic events there was yet to be a formal introduction. She sat alongside Ethan, his Beta and his Delta at the long table. Tobias flashed her a curt nod, she was growing fond of him.

"We need to prepare for battle" Ethan stood as he spoke, the room fixated on his every word "There is reason to believe the two rogues that were captured yesterday are communicating with others. Increase security around outer parameters of our land" He turned his attention to the elders "It's been quite some time my friends, but I need you to prepare to cloak the inner territory in case of a breach" They nodded before turning to each other, speaking in hushed voices.

A hum of whispers slowly started to spread across the room, as mini conversations of tactics began. They didn't even know what they were dealing with, thought Emma. Ethan felt her fidgeting slightly, he sat down and leaned towards her "You can say something if you'd like" He whispered.

She stood, staying silent for a moment. The hum in the room suddenly quietened as they watched her expectantly. Whilst most had not seen her before, her presence was curiously powerful.

"Now is not the time for introductions, you will all meet me formally at a later stage" Her voice boomed across the room, Ethan watched her with admiration and pride "One of the rogues that was caught yesterday is an Alpha, once a member of the Tama pack" Several gasps escaped from the room, whilst Emma's trauma was her own, news of her old pack's downfall and it's power hungry alpha had spread to other packs, most didn't believe it to be true.

"You aren't fighting any other pack, this will be a pack of rogues. I've heard of his recruiting several times, and whilst I don't believe his numbers will match...ours" She bit her tongue slightly, she had claimed the pack so easily it made her nervous. "They will be strong, without a moral compass. If anyone crosses their paths, defender or not, they'll fight to kill"

She turned her attention to Adir "Double up the number of guards on the perimeters, he's been communicating for hours so I expect they won't be far out" Adir nodded curtly, before leading the guards out of the room. Emma then turned her attention to the elders "Caleb's known for keeping wolves with extra abilities at hand, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a witch or two amongst them" They nodded, returning to their intense strategizing.

Emma swiftly sat back down as everyone speedily returned to their duties. She turned to Ethan "We all need to wear guard uniforms, rogues are often out of touch when it comes to the presence of senior pack members" The Beta and Delta nodded, leaving to find and distribute uniforms. Emma's heart rate had quickened as she realised the fight was approaching. Ethan reached out for her hand, the strong tingling sensation returning

"All we can do is wait now"