"Better?" Mr. Ully asked me. I nodded and grabbed a piece of candy out of my bag. Maybe I just needed to eat.

"Now we can get back to work." Mr. Ully cleared his throat. "I have a suggestion though. I called your grandfather-"

I almost burst into tears. "You said you wouldn't tell on me!"

"Did you get chased around the house with a belt?" He asked. "Because I'm pretty sure you would've if I told him what happened last week."

He was right. Grandpa hadn't seen any different to me for the past few days, still calling me a devil child and yelling at the tv screen.

"Exactly. Now listen." He looked right at me, making sure I was paying attention. "I called your Grandpa and told him about your work. You're doing alright, but I thought maybe you should get a tutor. Not because you're dumb, but I think you have so much potential."

That was nice of Mr. Ully, really, but it sounded like a terrible offer. I would have zero time for Deon, let alone myself.

"Yeah, I don't think so, but out of curiosity, why can't you tutor me?" I said propping my chin under my hand.

He shrugged. "Well, I would love to, but I have a life too. I told your grandfather that and he said he couldn't pay for one either. So, he came up with the idea of letting your mother tutor you." Why was this lady becoming relevant again?

Mr. Ully waited for me to respond, but I didn't say anything. "Tara," he began. "I know about your mother's situation, but your grandfather said she is very intelligent, and it would give you both an opportunity to...reconcile."

I let out this big ol' breath. "The only thing I can imagine my mother would be able to teach me, is the best places to score crack."

Mr. Ully wasn't fazed. "I'm just trying to help you."

I didn't care. No one was going to make me do what I didn't want to do. I looked at the clock on the wall. Thankfully it was 3:30, which mean I could leave

"Thank you for the snacks," I said politely. I picked up whatever leftover candy I had and put it in my bag. Throwing it over my shoulder, I got up from my desk and left the classroom.

From making me work with him at these stupid after school sessions and now getting into my personal life, it was honestly too much. I wouldn't be surprised if I turned out to be the new gossip in the teacher's lounge by next week.

🌸

Tatiana

"I wanna go to that party."

I felt the hairs on my neck rise. Slowly, I turned around. Tara was lying on her bed, her face resting in her hands while staring down at me. It felt like her eyes were boring into my soul. I turned back around, leaned against the bed, and continued clipping my nails. I would not feed into her nonsense.

"Like I reaaaaaally wanna go." I rolled my eyes at her antics, still being nonchalant.

"Then why don't you?"

I felt her scoot up closer before plopping her head on top of mine. "Because I want you to go with me."

"No," was my instantaneous answer. She started squirming up there, causing my head to move back and forth.

"Come ooooooon. Why not Tati? It will be fun." She was already whining, lord.

"What's fun about going to the party of a group of girls that absolutely hate you?" I asked even though I knew the answer.