Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Tara

I hadn't seen or talked to Deon since the yacht party thanks to Mr. Ully. I missed him so much, but I was feeling some type of way too. Dude never bothered to call me to see if I was okay. I could've sailed to another country or ended up becoming shark food. There was just no excuse for him not to check up on me and that's why I power walked all the way to Cub Haze Saturday morning. I'd been waiting all week to see Deon. I just didn't know if I was going to kiss him or punch him first.

My arrival was announced when I kicked open his office door before going inside.

Deon was sitting in the room by himself, legs on top of his black desk. He was resting like nothing was wrong, hands behind his head and eyes closed. He looked very peaceful.

"What the fuck!" I yelled, breaking the peace. I heard him sigh deeply from across the room. Slowly, he took his legs off the desk and brushed off the imaginary dirt. He was taking his sweet time, like he had all the time in the world.

"Hello!" I yelled again. He wasn't moving fast enough for me.

"Hello babe." Uncaring as always.

I went right up to his desk and got in his face, breath and all. "Are you serious?"

Deon held up his hand, telling me to shush. "I knew you weren't dead or eaten by something because I had someone check up on you. You were still on the bathroom floor refusing to move and being a bitch. And then I heard you were going to school for the rest of the week. I didn't call you because there's been some new...things taking place. I also have your wallet so your drunk ass wouldn't lose it. Yes, I care about you." Deon signaled behind me. Someone came up to us with a white container and a sprite. "Here, have some oxtail. I'm sorry."

Damn, he didn't let me get a word in. Now I had to shut up and eat my food. I sat down with as much attitude as I could. I glared at Deon as I threw open the lid of the container and stabbed my fork into a piece of meat. As soon as it hit my mouth, it was all over. I was all smiles now.

"Freaking delicious." That's all I said as I shoved my face with food. I hadn't realized I was hungry.

Deon stared at me as I ate. "Better?"

I nodded, paying attention to my food. It took me about 10 minutes to finish everything. I slumped back in the chair and burped. "Ah, satisfied," I said rubbing my tummy and using the sleeve of my shirt to wipe my face.

Deon shook his head. "Glad to hear."

"So, what's been up while I've been gone?" I wondered if I missed anything good.

Deon folded his hands under his chin, his beard brushing against the sleeves of his button up.

"Stingy been working on a new product, something he wants to introduce soon. This is supposed to make up for our losses."

"Oh okay." Boring drug business stuff.

"But it's just one thing after another," Deon sighed. "I got people leaving me. No one wants to sell anymore. So now I'm short on staff."

"I'm sorry to hear that baby," I said trying to be nice.

"Yeah. I think it's got something to do with that kid and whoever he's working for. Everything been going south ever since he came around. I gotta find him." I had goosebumps all over my arms. I didn't like the sound of that. "Other than that, not much else." He was smiling now. "What about you baby girl?" He reached over to play with a curl.

I sat up straight, forgetting his words seconds ago. "I have so much to tell you. First, my teacher found me walking down the street when I left the yacht. Now I have to stay after school with him everyday." Just the thought of it, made me roll my eyes.