Chapter Eleven: Normality Brutality

The crowd began to applaud and I ran to Chikorita's side. "Chikorita is unable to battle! The winner is Flaaffy which means the match goes to Jess!" Morty announced.

I got down on my knees as Chikorita began to wake back up. "Chikorita, I'm so sorry. I failed you again." I told my Pokémon.

Chikorita managed a smile and staggered to its feet before gently nuzzling me. "We'll beat them next time, I promise," I said as I returned her.

The crowd began to disperse and Jess walked up to me. "That was a pretty good battle, you almost had me for a bit," Jess said.

I took a deep breath and stood back up. "Yeah, just wait until next time though. Then I'll win for sure."

Jess's eyebrow went up and she put her hands on her hips. "Oh really? Well, we'll have to wait and see. I'm going to head up to Ecruteak, Morty do you want to come back with me?"

Morty shook his head. "That is alright. I would like to watch these two trainers take on this town's gym first."

"Well, whatever floats your boat," Jess said with a shrug. "See y'all around!" She waved and walked off to the northern exit of the town.

"Gold, are you alright?" Silver asked me.

I gave him a smile. "Totally! We were really close that time!" I assured him. "Now, let's go take on the gym!"

The three of us stopped by the Pokémon Center again so I could heal up my team and then we walked into the gym.

The gym was made up of one large room with a square battlefield. The walls were painted white and pastel pink square barriers were set up on the field.

A girl with red hair done up in pigtails was sitting in the middle of the field playing with a Pokémon. She had bright red lipstick on and was wearing fairly casual clothes.

The Gym Leader looked up at us with her sparkling pink eyes and got to her feet. "Heya, Morty! Good to see you again!" She said with a wave. "What brings ya here?"

Morty moved his head slightly down and up. "Likewise. I'm here to spectate these two challengers." He explained.

"The name's Gold!" I pointed at myself as I said this and then jerked my thumb to Silver. "And that's my friend Silver!"

"Coolio!" The trainer smiled. "My name's Whitney and welcome to the Normal Type Gym! Who'll I be taking on first?"

Silver and I looked at each other and we both shrugged. "I guess I will." I volunteered.

Whitney strolled over to her side of the field and I got on my end. Morty went up to the referee spot and Silver took a seat on the sidelines.

"This will be a three on three battle between Gold and the gym leader Whitney!" Morty explained. "Only the challenger may substitute Pokémon and the battle will be over when three Pokémon on either side can no longer battle. With that said, battle begin!"

Whitney sent out her Pokémon and they struck a pose together. Whitney's choice was a purple monkey Pokémon with a long tail that had a hand on the end. Aipom! I recognized.

I called out Chikorita and began to recall what I knew about Aipom. "Aipom, use Double Hit!" Whitney's Pokémon sprung into action and jumped onto one of the squares and then again into the air to get closer to Chikorita.

"Chikorita, Vine Whip to hit it out of the air!" I said to my battling partner. Chikorita sent her vines out to attack and Aipom was unable to maneuver around them, crashing into the ground a few moments after being struck.