You Are Not Your Name

The fact they managed to get home after all that was nothing short of a miracle.

Everyone had been full of pure adrenaline, running on nothing else, but now it was gone and when it left it took all their energy with it. They were completely drained--and everyone had used their powers to the absolute max on top of everything else.

Ben had used his ice as an actual, physical weapon--a huge one at that. And Eddie never did get the chance to completely finish healing him. Bev had been using her fire nonstop since the fight started. Richie had used his power in a way he never had before, and was physically exhausted from fighting off that monster for so long. Stan had an absolute splitting headache. And Bill was utterly emotionally shot.

The only one who looked more or less okay was, ironically enough, Mike.

And then there was Eddie, who felt like he could barely walk. Siphoning off Richie's energy was probably the only reason he was able to make it home at all; the entire walk back, he periodically reached over and just hung onto his arm. He hoped it wasn't making Richie more tired, but Eddie didn't even have the mental processes to think to ask. Saving Mike and trying to direct Richie's energy had taken so much out of him. And now, after leading them so deep into the woods, he had to navigate them home or else they would've been hopelessly lost.

If all that wasn't enough, he was in pain.

When the adrenaline was still barreling through him, his hands had only felt a bit sore. Now, it was a constant, deep ache. Every time he moved even just his fingers, even barely, a shock twinged through his entire hand, seeming to shoot all the way up into his arm. It was violent and sharp, and it was all he could do not to show it; he could see the look of guilt on Richie's face, he hated to make him more miserable. But despite his efforts, there wasn't much hiding the way his hands trembled or flinched.

He'd talk about it with him later, but their main focus for now was just getting back home.

They were practically all leaning on each other the entire walk back, but after what seemed like years, they did finally make it.

Dandelion was sitting there on the porch. But rather than sleeping as usual, it was staring at them expectantly. As they all walked past and into the house, Dandelion sniffed at Mike curiously. None of them had the energy to acknowledge that beyond giving Dandelion's head a pat as they passed.

They had barely even stumbled through the door and everyone was already wishing each other good night, clambering upstairs. Except Mike, who stopped Richie and Eddie and pulled them aside. "Hey. I just wanted to say, y'know. Thank you."

"C'mon Mikey, you don't have to thank us for something like that." Richie said, too tired to come up with anything witty. But there was such genuine softness in Richie's voice, it spoke volumes.

"It stands anyway," Mike said sincerely, hugging them both. Eddie let out a relieved sigh as he hugged him back. He completely agreed with Richie. and he would do it a hundred more times if he needed to; he was just beyond grateful they were able to bring him back.

When he pulled away, he gave them both a warm smile, and it washed it all away--all that turmoil and panic. He was soothed.

They both stood and watched him rush up the steps--Eddie wondered if this feeling of absolute relief would ever leave, or if every time he saw Mike he'd just be overcome by it again and again. He didn't mind if that were the case.

Eddie let out a slight sigh. "Alright, we should get to bed, too."

Richie just glanced at him, his eyes involuntarily dropping to his hands. "They hurt, huh?"

"No, I already told you," Eddie lied. "They're fine, Rich."

Richie was a lot of things, but he had never been stupid, that was for sure. He just shook his head. "I am so sorry, Eddie." he said quietly. His eyes wouldn't leave his hands now; his gaze was completely stuck, and the way his face twisted into anguish was more painful than anything else.

"Richie, would you shut up with that?" Eddie teased softly, desperate to get that look off Richie's face. "I don't mind it, I don't. Yes, okay, it hurts. But it won't hurt forever. It was a small price to pay for Mike."

"I know it was for Mike," Richie sighed, "and I wouldn't take it back, but... I'm sorry I didn't have better control of it. And I know those marks are gonna scar, so you'll have those forever, even when the pain goes away." he muttered.

Eddie spared a glance at his hands, studying the marks. He hummed thoughtfully. "I'm okay with that."

"What?!" Richie choked, finally looking at him.

Eddie nodded, smiling up at him. "Yeah, they're kinda cool, don't you think?"

Richie stared in shock for a few moments before just busting up laughing, shaking his head in disbelief. "You are something else entirely, Kaspbrak," he said, the fondness making Eddie's heart melt. Richie smiled at his hands this time, gently taking them in his, turning them to inspect the marks on both sides. "I guess they are pretty cool looking." he admitted.

"Like a tattoo." Eddie said with a grin, making Richie do the same.

"Go to bed Spaghetti, you look terrible." Richie said, hesitating for a moment before dropping Eddie's hands.

Eddie rolled his eyes. "You too."

"Nuh uh. I'm an endless source of energy apparently, remember?" Richie muttered sarcastically, but the fatigue in his voice was evident. Eddie ignored his stupid comment and they started slowly climbing the stairs together.

"So now you know you can use your energy directly," Eddie said, "are you gonna use it in fights, then?"

Richie stared off thoughtfully. "Maybe. My bat's fucked, so I guess it's good timing to figure it out..." he still looked hesitant, though. Eddie supposed he could understand why. Now that he'd felt Richie's power firsthand, literally, he had a whole new understanding of just how much power Richie was dealing with. It was immense. And Richie had been holding back so much, Eddie couldn't even imagine what he was capable of.

It might've been concerning, maybe even a little scary, if it was anyone other than Richie.

"You'll learn to control it just fine." Eddie said confidently, knowing full well that was what Richie was worried about yet again.

Richie just smiled a little. "Well there's gotta be a reason you have so much faith in me."

"There's not one, it's a terrible decision on my part really."

Richie gasped. "You're so mean," he said, despite that stupid grin on his face. "You need a nap right now."

"Working on it," Eddie laughed. They both paused before his room, and neither of them really seemed to know why. Eddie just nodded a little. "We did alright today."

"We did." Richie agreed. He brushed a piece of Eddie's hair aside. "Now go to bed." he muttered, turning and heading to his own room.

Eddie watched him go before he finally walked into his own. He threw himself down on the bed; he didn't care to change or anything else, he was too exhausted to put that much thought into anything.

Especially considering his mind was running enough already.

At least sleep came relatively quickly. He didn't have to think too much.