Placed on the Path They've Paved for You

"This is exhausting."

"Hmm?" Richie hummed as he took a slow drag, glancing over at her. She looked like she was somewhere else.

"All of this, ya know." Bev said after a moment. "It's exhausting. I thought we were done."

"Me too." Richie sighed, smoke following his words out.

Apparently she didn't have anything else to say, because things fell silent. They were just standing against the wall outside the store, waiting for the others. Stan and Ben were getting snacks for everyone, meanwhile Bill was trying to buy three bottles of chocolate milk, all for himself—Mike was desperately trying to talk him down to two.

Richie's chest twisted—it was unfair. It was unfair that all this was threatened once again. He would do anything to just enjoy a normal life with his friends.

Anything. He thought, amused. Like kill monsters, I guess.

Speaking of monsters, he was starting to get tired of not having Eddie there.

Ben and Stan came out first, a bag of carefully picked snacks in Stan's hand. Mike and Bill came out next; Bill was already drinking one of the three bottles of his chocolate milk.

"When he gets sick, we're leaving him." Richie said, tossing his cigarette on the ground and stepping on it. "Now let's go find my favorite little monster."

They only took two steps before Bill suddenly choked, dropping the bottle. Richie busted out laughing. "Bill, what the hell, you can't even drink your damn chocolate milk—" he stopped short when he saw that Bill didn't look so amused.

He looked like someone had just smacked him in the face as he frantically looked around. Mike suddenly looked ill.

"What's going on?" Stan asked, looking a bit on-edge himself.

"There's one here somewhere," Bill said quietly, looking at Mike.

"I think we should find Eddie," Mike choked out.

Richie's heart went still in his chest, threatening to drop like a stone. "Let's hurry," he said, already rushing away before he'd even gotten the words out. "Any of you know where he is?"

"He's the navigator," Ben said regretfully.

"I think I can find him," Mike said quietly, "I can feel his distress."

Richie felt his heart finally plummet into his stomach. "Well can you pinpoint him with that?" he asked, the weight in his stomach making him feel sick.

"Not exactly, but we'll get close."

"Can't you feel memories or whatever?" Stan asked, his voice coming out shrill.

Mike hesitated. "I don't know if I can do it yet."

"You can," Bill assured, not the slightest hint of doubt in his eyes. "When we get c-closer, try it. You can do it."

Mike didn't say anything, but he looked straight ahead, which Richie supposed was as good a sign as any.

Once they had gotten to the point where Mike could feel Eddie more and more, he suddenly stopped. "Okay," he said, squeezing his eyes shut, "Okay, let me try. Everyone just be quiet for a second."

Richie bounced on his heels impatiently. Every little second felt like an hour. And they were adding up quick. All Richie could think about was that Eddie was so distressed, Mike had felt it despite the distance between them, and once again Richie was sure he'd throw up.

Realistically, it had probably only been maybe one full minute, but Richie was just about to speak up when Mike opened his eyes. "Okay."

"Okay?" Bev asked. "Okay what?!"