06 | The Supper

06 | The Supper

For five minutes, everyone was eating quietly, enjoying every meal that Leticia prepared just for them and for this occasion.

"While eating maybe it's better to talk about the kids right away," said Antonio, who had just wiped his greasy mouth with a white handkerchief.

"I agree, our business is doing good naman so it's better to talk about the business between our children," Reishel, who is speaking right now, said to everyone before looking at Leticia. "Right, friend?"

"Kayo bahala," Leticia answered impatiently, looking at her husband Antonio for a moment before continuing her meal.

"By the way, what course would you take Reggie?" Antonio asked as he continued to manage his plate.

"Uhm, still deciding pa po tito but..." He looked at his dad, raising its eyebrows as if telling Reggie what he should say "o-of course it has to do with business po."

"Oh, that's good and how about the other guy...?" asked Antonio again after swallowing the food he was chewing.

"Uh, this is Spencer po... son of Mayor Wennard," Reggie politely replied. She looked at Spencer and nodded.

"Aha! Kaya pala pamilyar siya sa 'kin. You're the CSA-Makati baseball MVP, right?" Antonio chortled, smiling and looking straight at Spencer who was sitting at the end.

Spencer stopped eating, lowering the spoon and fork for a moment. "Wow! Napanood niyo po?" he asked, letting out a wide grin on his lips.

"Nope," Antonio replied, retracing his gaze and concentrating on his food. "Nabalitaan ko lang."

"Oh, si Wennard? Papa mo?" Leticia's sudden promise after sipping hot soup. His tongue almost flushed but she endured for she was surprised to hear that Spencer was Wennard's son.

"Stepson po, ma'am." Spencer just smiled, waiting for what Almira's mom had to say.

"Ah, okay... friend ko kasi 'yon, hindi naman sa pagmamayabang." She was still talking to Spencer and everyone was just listening. "Anyway, what course are you gping to take? Law, I guess?"

"AB Major in History yung napili ko po," Spencer replied, scanning the faces of those who heard what he said. So far, their reaction is okay.

"Oh, I see, what university...?" Leticia asked again, not knowing when her curiosity would end. She was only intrigued by the fact that she knew the boy she was talking to was Wennard's son, her "friend" Wennard.

"Ateneo po kaming dalawa, tita." It was Reggie who responded when Spencer threw his gaze on him.

"Sounds good," Leticia promised, nodding with a big smile. Finally she finished speaking.

Others now have the opportunity to speak up and open up a new topic for them to talk about.

"'Nak, Mira... hinay-hinay lang, just take it slow," Antonio uttered in conversation so everyone kept looking at Almira, counting how many times she had taken rice and dish? God, they don't know.

"Oh... how about your lovely daughter?" Reishel asked, looking at Antonio and the girl next to her.

"I'm going to take Business Management course, right dad?" Almira replied, looking at her dad waiting to hear what he had to say.

"Yes, dear! You got it right!" Antonio chuckled, as did Guillermo and Reishel, both of whom were pleased with what the girl had said.

"Magiging schoolmate pala kayong tatlo, oh my sufferin' succotash!" Reishel asserts, acting like a teenager at her age. Sounds cringe. "May magchi-cheer na rin sa wakas sa anak 'ko! Oh my sufferin' succotash!"