Chapter 1 - A Mother's Love

The sun was slowly setting below the horizon, casting brilliant orange and red rays of light on the small rural village that was peacefully settling down to welcome the night. 

In a small wooden cottage surrounded by the smell of herbs and lillies, the sound of light laughter drifted out. A mother and a daughter can be seen harmoniously cooking dinner together, a humble spread of crispy, lightly browned bread, creamy butter, and rabbit stew, which was freshly caught earlier that morning. As the daughter puts out the two plates and two spoons, the mother carries the steaming hot pot of stew and places it onto the center of the table, along with the bowl of butter and a knife to cut the bread.

The mother's name is Elristia Lightheart, a stunning young woman of rare beauty. With long, wavy, flowing dark blue hair that was habitually tied to the side and almond shaped light gold eyes that shone like gems in the firelight, skin as smooth as silk with a slight tan to it, and a slender figure with curves in all the right places, she seemed like an ethereal beauty that did not belong to surrounding rural environment of the village.

The girl, her daughter, is Yukiko "Yuki" Lightheart.  Unlike her mother's dark blue hair that resembled the ocean, she was born with silky straight silver hair that glimmered like moonlight. With bangs that covered her forehead, her hair hung loosely down to her mid-back. She inherited her mother's light gold almond shaped eyes that glimmered like the sun and seemed to be able to pierce into one's soul.  With a heart shaped face and a short, slim stature, the girl was obviously young, but many could tell she would grow up to be a beauty.

"Mommy, can you make tea to go with dinner today?" Yuki asked, tilting her head with a cute smile.

"Sure sweetheart, shall I make your favorite?" Elristia asked, turning and lightly tapping her daughter's little nose.

"Yes please Mommy!" Yuki grinned.

Chuckling softly, like windchimes gently ringing in the wind, Elristia walked to the kitchen to prepare the kettle.

Sitting down at the table with her little legs gently swaying back and forth, the young girl patiently waited for her mother to come back with the tea to begin eating. 

In a few moments, Elristia came back with two steaming hot cups of tea. Reaching out for it, she warned Yuki, "be careful, it's still hot."

"Yes, Mommy." Yuki said, before taking the cup, gently blowing on it before taking a small sip. Instantly, the taste of sweet flowers filled her mouth. It was hibiscus tea, a flower that only her mother grew with the seeds she obtained from a continent far from theirs, with a little honey added in.

"Mmmmmm" Yuki sighed in content.

After Elristia sat down, the two dug into their small meal. After they were done, they both cleared the table, and washed and wiped the dishes. After they finished, they went to change their clothes – both wearing black pants and shirts. Before exiting the cottage, Elristia walked to the table in the middle of their house and reached under it to grab a sheathed blade, before heading towards the door and grabbing two practice wooden blades. The sheath was dark blue, similar to the color of her hair. Near the blade's handle, a small topaz was embedded, with silver embroidery decorating the top. The handle was wrapped in simple dark leather. When she exited the house and unsheathed the sword to inspect it, she revealed a white blade with black runic inscriptions on it. When she twirled the sword, the blade seemed to catch the sparse moonlight and keep it for itself before reflecting it, shining with a dangerous yet beautiful light.

When they reached the back of their cottage, Elristia tossed the wooden practice blade to Yuki, who lightly caught it with her right hand. "Begin your warm ups." She told her daughter, before hooking the now-sheathed sword into her belt and standing with the other wooden blade to watch her daughter. As she watched, her thoughts began to wander.