22. Burn the house down

Start from the beginning

So I left to hurry to the Energy Station where I was supposed to have coffee with Vicki 20 minutes ago. I had my raincoat with me, so I put that on and hurried down the paddock. 

As I arrived to the Red Bull cafeteria Vicki jumped up happily to greet me, but as she noticed my shirt, she literally screamed. 
"Wow, it's ok, shush," I waved her down. Her face went white, and I couldn't stop laughing. 
"FIA training. Second scenario, femoral artery bleeding. Fake blood. Don't ask anymore, I'll got get changed, just one sec," I jabbered.

I crossed the road and entered our garage to cross and head to our office. 
I just passed the driver's rooms when I heard Daniel's muffled voice. He was talking to Michael. I haven't realised it's that late - probably they are already finished with the interviews and now back for their usual stretching. 
I swear I only stopped because Daniel's voice felt so troubled. 
"I don't know man, she was so sad I just wanted to comfort her and not push anything," he said. 
"Hey, just find your balls and ask her out already. Geez, you have to act before it's too late," Michael scolded him annoyed. "Squat lower," he added. "Are you sure she' seeing someone?" The Australian trainer asked suspiciously.
A low grunt was the only answer and I knew I should leave. But my legs simply didn't work and my mind was racing with crazy thoughts. 

Are they talking about me? God, if they are, then it means…
My heart and my stomach just switched places. I gulped and managed to make one step further down the corridor when they started to talk again. 

"I don't know. I have a bad feeling about that. I'm afraid she already has someone and I missed my chance you know?" He grunted again. "Things with Gemma ended a long time ago, and haven't met anyone since that made me feel like now. So I think I'm just terrified to make a move," Daniel continued. "You know, not to mess things up this time."
"Daniel Ricciardo, you look like a piece of cake, have millions of fans around the world and you are afraid to ask a girl out?" Michael mocked him. "Do ten more of that, only with your hands up."
"Well, she is not like other random girls, and you know that," Daniel sighed. 
"Yeah, you must have mentioned that before," Michael answered tiredly. 

Ok, it was too much, I had to leave that place. I finally defroze and ran down to the medical room where I remembered I had some spare clothes. I put on a top and a pink sweater. 

Fuck, what if Daniel and Michael were talking about me? And he maybe knows about me and Charles...

Only thinking about that made me panic. I never thought of the real possibility of them finding out about us. I can't let that happen, like ever. No matter if Daniel likes me or not, him and especially Max - Jesus Christ, Max! - could never know.

Now that and the events of last night made me sure about that we can't continue messing around with the young Ferrari driver.

Before leaving, I checked myself in the mirror, wearing that pink sweater and suddenly a bittersweet memory flashed back to my mind.

I handed him the phone. He took it, but he grabbed my hand as well.
“Nice shirt,” he smirked at my pink sweater. “I like it so much better than the Red Bull one beneath it.” Oh my god, is he really watching my breasts?
I rolled my eyes, and freed my hand from his before anybody sees us. 
“Clara you really look good,” he said before he put his helmet on. “I want to kiss you so bad now.”

Fuck. It's not even that cold. I got off the sweater, tossed it to the corner and hurried back to the cafeteria. 

"So how does the living together works out?" I asked Vicki after I ordered my regular black espresso.
She smirked, and I could see that was the question she was waiting for. 
"It's amazing," she smiled. "Everything was so smooth. Jake helped with the moving. And he is so supportive about me working all the time.”
"I'm so happy for you," I smiled at her. She looked fine, and content. I honestly cheered for her and Jake to find their happiness together, no matter how miserable I was on that front.