Sanjuukyu

When Sasuke heard from Naruto, who heard from Sakura, who heard from Ino, who heard from Choji, who heard from Shikamaru, who heard from his Father that Reina had been taken into hospital, he felt sick.

He didn't know whether the duel had gone wrong or something worse had happened. All he knew was that he needed to make sure she was ok.

Sasuke ran through the hospital hallways dodging moving gurneys and moaning patients, all the while avoiding breaking his neck on the newly polished floors.

He arrived at Reina's room sweaty and panting after shouting at a receptionist a little too curtly to find out what room she was in. He would probably have to go back and apologise if his Mother found out.

He expected to find her hooked up to all sorts of machines, surrounded by IV bags and obnoxiously beeping monitors.

Instead he found Reina sat between Itachi's legs whilst he braided her hair and she filled in a crossword puzzle.

"The fuck~"

"Sasuke?" Reina frowned. "What are you doing here?"

"Sasuke-kun." Itachi greeted over Reina's shoulder before going back to her hair.

"I thought you were dying!" Sasuke muttered, wiping his forehead on the back of his hand before slumping into a nearby chair. "The way that baka Naruto made out, I thought you were on Death's door!"

Reina snorted. "No thanks to your Father."

Silence.

"Reina," Itachi paused, tying off the braids before resting his hands on her waist. "what happened with Otou-san? I heard his side, but I want to hear yours."

"What do you mean?" Sasuke asked, leaning his elbows on his knees. "What's happened?"

Reina turned between Itachi's legs so she could see the pair. "The village's clan heads were summoned regarding the candidates for the next Hokage. The final candidates were narrowed down to Tsunade, Danzō Shimura and Itachi."

"Wait what?" Sasuke blinked. "Nii-san? Did you know about this?"

Itachi leaned back against the pillows and shook his head, propping his arm on his raised knee, continuing to listen as Reina explained.

"It was unanimously decided Danzō was unsuitable, so it came down to Tsunade and Itachi." Reina continued, fidgeting with the microporous tape of her cannula. "I hadn't contributed to the discussion, I'll be honest I was so consumed with messing up my first council meeting that I couldn't think straight. So when your Father asked my opinion, I kind of saw red and instantly shot you down as Hokage."

Reina bit her lip to hold back the tears, blinking up at the lights. "I know, that deep down, you would be a phenomenal Hokage." Reina paused sniffling. "But I wasn't prepared to send you to your death. I wasn't prepared for you to resent yourself even more just because your Father wanted to bump the Uchiha clan up the pecking order. So I lied." Reina wiped her eyes. "I lied and told every person in that room, including the Hokage, that I thought you were ill-suited to lead this village, because I was selfish and didn't want you to die!"

Everyone in the room was crying. Reina sobbed. Sasuke was dumbstruck, tears sliding down his face whilst Itachi stared at the woman between his legs completely awestruck.

"I'm so sorry, Itachi." Reina sobbed. "You are an amazing shinobi, the most talented and kind-hearted person ever, but I didn't want you to die! I couldn't let you die, hating yourself. So if that means fighting your Father and the entire Uchiha clan then so help me Kami, I'll do it!"