The Start of a New Beginning

This was it. Today I packed for tour, so we could leave this afternoon. I've watched dad prepare for tour so many times throughout my life, but now it was my turn. He gave me a list of everything I would need.
"How's it going?" Dad asked as he poked his head into my room.
"I think I have everything I need. I'm going to miss my room though" I said as I gave it a look around.
"Everything will be as you left it when we get back" he said, now leaning against the door frame.
"Hey dad, do you get homesick on tour?" I asked.
"Of course. I normally miss you the most, so I'm glad you'll be with us this time" he said smiling. I smiled back at him before he left to finish packing.

I brought my suitcase downstairs once I was finished packing everything. Dad must have been still packing so I waited in the living room. Moments later he came down the stairs with his bag.
"You ready?" He asked as he grabbed his keys.
"It's still early" I said while looking over at the clock. We didn't have to meet up with the others for two hours.
"I was thinking we get lunch first" he said. I shrugged and got up, grabbing my luggage before following him to the car.

"You nervous?" Dad asked as we both settled into the car. I nodded.
"Little bit" I mumbled.
"That's normal, it'll be fine" dad said with a chuckle.
"Do you get nervous?" I asked as I turned towards him.
"Before every show" he said. It made me feel better knowing I wasn't alone. I may not being going on stage, but my life was completely different now.

The rest of the ride was fairly quiet until we got to our local sub shop. We loved coming here before he would leave, but this time we weren't saying goodbye. Dad ordered us two cheese steak subs as I found a table. I felt so many emotions as I sat down. Usual I was just sad dad was leaving, but this times different. I felt excited, nervous, happy, scared, and everything in between. Dad sat down with me and handed me my sub, but I had a hard time eating.

"Everything will be fine" dad said when he noticed I didn't eat much.
"I know, I'm just still nervous" I said quietly.
"I'm sure you'll feel better once you settle in. You'll get along with everyone I'm sure" he said. Talking with him did make me feel better. We sat together talking about everything until we had to leave.

Dad drove us to a lot where the tour buses and vans were ready to go.
"No flying?" I asked, expecting our first stop to be the airport.
"Not yet" dad said as he got out of the car. I watched him making his rounds checking in on everyone there. I was feeling shy and went straight to the bus. There I saw Eric.
"Hey buddy you made it!" He said as he saw me.
"Yeah, this is crazy" I said as I put my bag down.
"Just wait until we get moving" Eric laughed. Barry was next to join us on the bus.
"What up little man?" He asked.
"Hey Barry" I said nervously. He chuckled and went to the back of the bus to put this things down.

Of course Zach was last on the bus. Even dad had returned after checking in with everyone.
"Sorry I'm late" he mumbled as he placed his bag down.
"Whatever, as long as we're all here now" dad said. He went to the front of the bus to tell the driver we were ready to go. I felt excited as the bus began moving. I waited for this day my whole life and it was finally happening.

I was finally working for Shinedown.