Upset and Scared

The ride home was long and silent. I knew I was in trouble. I looked over at dad, who kept his eyes on the road and both fists clenched on the wheel. I've never seen him so upset before. He didn't even turn the radio on, and I didn't dare to. I hung my head in shape as we made our way home.

After pulling into the driveway, I grabbed my things and looked at dad. He didn't get out of the car. I sighed and walked to the front door. Dad watched from the driver's seat while I fumbled around my pockets until I found my keys. He pulled out of the driveway and left as soon as I got inside. I broke down crying after closing the door and ran to my room.

*Brent's POV*

I don't know what was wrong with Parker today. He's never acted up like that once in his life. I was angry, disappointed, and worried for my son. I had to get back to work though, I had to save our talk for later.

"Hey Brent, everything alright?" Eric asked as I entered the office.
"Sorry. Parker got into a fight at school, so I had to take him home" I explained, trying to stay calm.
"I hope he's okay" Zach said.
"He'll be fine. Can we just focus?" I asked, hoping I didn't sound too annoyed. The others looked at each other before agreeing to move on from the subject.

"Brent, you sure your okay?" Barry asked as I stared at a blank piece of paper, hoping to write down some lyrics.
"Yeah, just worried about Parker" I mumbled. I put my head in my hands as hundreds of thoughts raced across my mind.
'Why did he do it?'
'Did he even hit first?'
'Is he okay home alone?'
The thoughts got to me and I broke down crying. Barry rushed to my side and put an arm around my shoulder.
"It's going to be okay Brent. He's a teenage boy, you can't expect him to be perfect" he said. I wiped away my tear and took a deep breath.
"I know he's not perfect. I guess I just expected better of him" I said sadly.
"I get it man. You want the best for him. But he's got to learn from his mistakes" Barry informed me. I just nodded and thought for a moment. Was it a mistake, or did he do the right thing?

I decided I had to go talk to Parker. I grabbed my phone and keys off the table and rushed out. I figured Barry would tell the others why I left in such a hurry. After quickly jumping in and starting the car, I headed off to see my boy.

*Parker's POV*
After crying for about twenty minutes, I decided to take my feelings out on some music. Sadly, all my instruments were back at the studio. I dig through my backpack until I found my drumsticks. Sitting down, I started up a beat by hitting the sticks against the top of my desk. It's not the same as real drums, but it worked. That is, until I played too hard and broke one of my sticks.

I ended up just laying in my bed, staring at the ceiling. About an hour later, I heard a car pull into the driveway. Dad must be home. Part of me wanted to run to him and explain myself, but a big part of me just wanted to lay in bed and not move. So I didn't.

I heard footsteps coming towards my room.
"Parker, are you in there?" Dad called out, softly knocking on the door.
"Yeah dad" I replied, not moving from my bed.
"Can I come in?" He asked in a soft voice.
"Don't see why not" I mumbled. He must have heard me cause next thing I knew the door slowly opened. Dad stood in the doorway, hands in pocket and eyes to the ground.

We both sat in silence too long
"I'm sorry dad. I really am" I finally whined. Dad sighed and walked over to me.
"Can you... can you just tell me what happened?" He asked as he took a seat next to me. I didn't bother sitting up from my laying position.

Dad listened quietly as I gave my side of the story. I started crying by the end of it.
"I'm sorry Park, I should've asked soon" dad asked while pulling me into his lap.
"I'm sorry dad. I wish I never fought back" I sobbed.
"Sounds like you did the right thing. I'm still not happy that it happened, but you only defended yourself" he said. I cried into his shoulder as he held me tightly

"Come on son, let's go get some fresh air. I think you need it" dad said when I finished crying. I just silently agreed and followed him to the backyard. I could still see the disappointment in dad's face as he sat at the picnic table. I sat across from him and enjoyed the cool breeze. I must have been tired from all that crying, cause it didn't take long for me to lay my head down and fall asleep