Father Son Day

Dad and I went straight home from school. I wish I had time in the studio today, but I couldn't blame dad for wanting some quality time together. I missed our father son time as well.
"So what do you want to do?" He asked as we walked into the house. I put my bag down, thinking of what we could do.
"It's pretty nice out. Can we walk around the park together?" I asked.
"Sure thing" dad said with a smile.

I grabbed my skateboard as we walked out the door together. Dad locked the door before we headed out towards the park. I skated slowly to keep up with his waking pace.
"So. Your birthday is coming up soon. Have any plans?" Dad asked as we made our way down the street.
"Not really. Maybe I'll hang out with Daisy if she not too busy with David"
"Well, you can always hang out with us at the studio. I'll even let you stay home from school if you like"
"Really? After already missing a week?"
"Why not" I smiled and looked over at him. He smiled back at me and I could tell he had something planned.

We made our way to the park so I jumped off my board. Holding it under my arm, I walked along side. We both enjoyed the peace and quiet, as not many people were here today.
"So what's that surprise you were talking about?" I asked, breaking our silence.
"I'm not going to ruin the surprise" he said with a chuckle.
"Come on, your going to make me wait until summer?" I pretended I didn't already know.
"Can you at least wait until your birthday?" He asked.
"Sure. Why not" we both laughed and enjoyed each other's company.

"It's getting late, want to get something to eat?" Dad asked as we made our way back to the park entrance.
"Sounds good to me" I said with a smile. We walked back home and went inside so I could put my skateboard away. Dad had a few things to do in his office before we could go. I sat on the couch, playing on my phone as I waited for him. He was always working, but at least he tried making time for me.

"Alright, let's go" he said as he grabbed his keys and walked by me towards the door.
"Where to?" I asked, hopping up to my feet and joining him outside.
"It's a surprise" we both got into the car and took off. Dad turned the radio on and started singing along. I joined in, making him smile. We both sang together as he headed out for food.

I was happy to see dad pull into our favorite Italian restaurant.
"It's been a while since we've eaten here" he said as he got out of the car. I just smiled and got out myself, following dad inside. We got ourselves a table and sat opposite of each other. I was so glad we got a chance to spend some one on one time together, it was rare nowadays.

I ordered the chicken parmigiana and dad ordered the ravioli. It was nice getting to talk while we waited on the food.
"So tell me more about this Cody" dad said, clasping his hands under his chin.
"Oh, he's just some boy I used to have a class with" I said blushing.
"Sounds like you like him though. You going to ask him out?" I choked on my drink.
"We just started talking dad"
"Just wondering" he chuckled.

Our food arrived so we stopped talking to eat. I was glad after that awkward conversation. I was still happy to be out with him, even if he did want to embarrass me.
"So are you excited for summer tour?" I asked as I finished up my meal. Dad nodded as swallowed.
"I think this is going to be a good one"
"Won't you miss me?" I said with a pout.
"I always miss you when we're apart. Maybe this summer will be different though" he said with a wink.
"What do you mean?"
"You'll be 18 and out of school. Nothings stopping you from visiting some of the cities we'll be in"
I knew he was hiding something, but I also knew it would be worth the wait.
"I guess your right. Maybe this will be a good summer"
"I know it will be"

We finished our meals and dad paid the bill.
"Thanks for taking me out. I like spending time with you" I said as we walked out.
"I enjoy our family time too, I'm glad we got to spend this afternoon together though. Hopefully things will get less busy soon and we do this more while we still can"
"What do you mean?"
"You're getting older Parker. Soon you'll be sick of me, so I want to enjoy the time we still have together"
"I'll never get sick of you dad. Even when I move out, I'll still visit and call"
Dad chuckled and put an arm around me.
"Thanks bud. I love you"
"I love you too dad"

Dad and I made our way home, both tired from the long day.
"Want to watch a movie?" I asked as we got inside.
"Sure. Can't promise I'll stay awake though" dad yawned as he put his keys down. I went over to the living room to pick out a movie. I put on the first Star Wars movie I saw, knowing I'd probably fall asleep too. "A New Hope?" Dad took a seat next to me on the couch, putting an arm on my shoulder.
"Yeah, we've seen it so many times I figured we wouldn't miss anything if we fell asleep" I yawned and leaned onto dad.
"Good idea"

About half way through the movie I looked up to see dad had fallen asleep. I smiled and cuddled closer to him, watching some more of the movie. It didn't take long before I started feeling tired. I carefully got up, careful not to wake dad, and made my way to my room. I sat on my bed and reflected on the day. School may not have been great, but the afternoon with dad was a lot of fun. I gave a content sigh as I laid back in bed, closing my eyes and drifting to sleep