Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

Dean shoved some pretzels in his mouth, dusted his hands off and got back into the car.

Cas followed suit and Dean kissed him on the cheek before pulling out of the gas station.

'Better?' Cas asked.

Dean nodded enthusiastically. He knew where they were going now and was a lot more relaxed.

They made it to the hotel with just enough time to get dressed before the party. They checked in and hung the suits they were wearing to the wedding up in the closet.

Cas began to get dressed, but Dean wrapped his arms around Cas's waist, preventing him from putting on his shirt.

'Dean, come on, we're going to be late,' Cas said, though he made no move to extricate himself.

Dean merely shrugged.

'Well, you make a compelling argument,' Cas laughed.

By the time they arrived at the venue, the party was in full swing, and it took them a minute to find Charlie, dressed as a swordsman.

'Where the hell have you guys been?' Charlie demanded.

'We uh, lost track of time,' Cas said.

'Ew,' Charlie said. 'And you came as an angel again? Seriously?'

'Not the same angel,' Cas said defensively. 'This one wears grey instead of white.'

'And Dean, you look like... yourself.'

Dean turned around and showed her the devil's tail he'd clipped onto his jeans.

'You guys are so lame,' Charlie said, rolling her eyes.

Just then, Dorothy came over, dressed in a puffy, blue dress, her hair in braids, and freckles painted on her face.

'Dorothy Gale, really?' Cas said critically. 'And you thought my costume was bad.'

Dorothy grinned widely. 'It's good to see you too, Cas.' She hugged him tightly. 'And it's nice to finally meet you, Dean,' she said, shaking his hand.

'Come on, let's get wasted and dance to some cheesy music,' Charlie said, grabbing Dorothy's hand. 'There's food around if you guys are hungry.' She pulled Dorothy away, leaving Cas and Dean to find their own way around.

Cas recognise a lot of the people around the room from Milwaukee, but none of them seemed to recognise him.

They eventually bought some drinks at the bar, and felt pleasantly warm after downing all of them.

'Come on,' Cas shouted to Dean, dragging him to the dance floor.

Cas danced more than he had in years that night, mostly with Dean, but with Charlie a lot as well. A few times, he caught Dean watching him with an odd expression, but he decided to ask about it later.

Eventually, the party began to wind down, and Charlie and Cas stepped outside for some air.

'What a great party!' Charlie exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. 'I'm so happy, Cas!'

'I'm happy for you!' Cas grinned. The wings he was wearing had sagged and begun coming apart. Feathers fell to the ground as Charlie threw an arm around him. 'You deserve this,' he said to her.

'You're the best,' she said, resting her head on his shoulder. 'I'm happy for you too, you know.'

'Oh?'

'He really loves you.'

Cas blushed. 'What makes you say that?'

Charlie giggled. 'Don't tell him I told you, but he calls you "Angel" when you're not around.'