Chapter 20 l Demon Blood

Calla would have never expected that she would've met four of the Seven Deadly Sins, but as Merlin and Arthur—who was carrying King Bartra on his back—phased out, she felt accomplished. Maybe she'd stick around with them a little longer. She watched with some amusement as King and Meliodas bickered back and forth before feeling a presence beside her. Glancing over, she saw Gilthunder, Margaret still stuck to his side.

"Are you feeling alright?" He inquired. Calla touched the tear in her tunic, eyeing the mark across her stomach.

"Yeah, King fixed me all up." She answered. "And I know I've said it already, but thank you. If not for your intervention, I would've choked on my own blood."

"I apologize for attacking you earlier too. There is no excuse." He said. Her brow raised.

"Please, those attacks healed in seconds." She punched his shoulder playfully. "But they packed quite a punch. I applaud you, Gilthunder." He smiled fleetingly, head bobbing. 

And then the castle erupted. 

Calla was yanked in by Gilthunder as King grabbed a few people with his bear, attempting to pull Diane up. Meliodas landed further away, holding Elizabeth against his chest.

"Little Gil!" He shouted. "Calla!" As the smoke began to clear, Calla was set down as Meliodas helped Elizabeth down.

"Thanks, again. I owe you one. Little Gil." He blushed a little at Calla's words. And then the screams began. She looked over to see both Guila—she had been introduced earlier—and Jericho convulsing on the ground. Calla didn't like Jericho from the start, but she didn't want that to happen to her. Guila's younger brother shook her a little.

"Big Sis...?" He inquired. Gilthunder knelt beside Jericho.

"Jericho! Pull yourself together!!" She didn't even hear him. "Their pain isn't normal. What is this--!?"

"Captain..." King started. "I feel some pitch-black power surging from inside them." Meliodas nodded.

"Yeah...they were the New Generation, weren't they?" His eyebrows knit together. "This isn't good...it's probably the same transformation that happened to Dale...Their demon blood is running out of control!!" Jericho lurched forward, saliva running down her chin as she panted. Ew. Not attractive. Calla thought before Jericho bowed over and exploded. Well, not exploded, but her body did expand into a beast. Said beast lunged forward and Diane caught it's fist, straining to keep her balance.

"Diane!" King cried, rushing forward with Chastifol ready.

"Wait, King! What are you doing?!" Elizabeth demanded. King looked back at her.

"I'm killing Jericho! Diane can barely move right now!" He answered. Diane pushed back against the beast's hold.

"I'm fine!!" She ground out, "but what's going on with Guila and the others?!" She asked.

"Most likely, the demon blood within the New Generations is going berserk on it's own." King explained. Meliodas shook his head.

"No, someone made it go berserk." He said.

"You mean someone is behind this?" Diane inquired.

"Don't you think it's weird? Why would all the New Generations throughout the town just suddenly start going on a rampage?" Meliodas countered.

"A very astute observation." A cool voice said. "The New Generations are all knights who could not become Holy Knights. In other words, failures. Inferiority complexes towards Holy Knights and rage against their powerlessness lie in their hearts. And those negative emotions react with the demon blood and give birth to their power. However, with an ancient incantation, their demon blood can be made to go berserk. And just like that, in their weakness, they are swallowed by the thick torrent of darkness and their bodies are taken over..." As the figure came into view, Calla's eyes narrowed and she pulled free her sword.

"So you were alive," Meliodas observed. "Hendrickson!"