Chapter 44 l The Hero Stands

"I think you have me mistaken..." Elizabeth trailed off. "For someone else...?" Zaratras, knowing that it would take Calla a moment to come back, realized the dire situation. 

"This is bad..." He mumbled to himself. 

"A wise man knows when his actions are futile..." A cool voice quipped. "And you strike me as a very wise man." He did not turn around, knowing what was behind him. This massive...powerful force...it's overwhelming...smothering...He thought to himself, breathing growing heavy. So this is the power of the Ten Commandments. He knew it was futile to try and fight a Commandment, knew it would put him at Death's door, but he was a Holy Knight. And he would not just stand there. He launched himself forward, sword aiming for the Commandment of Purity. 

"Sit." Derieri's demonic arm rushed by the side of Elizabeth's face, slamming into Zaratras and sending him flying. Derieri jumped past Elizabeth, fist rearing back when two feet sunk into her chest, sending her flying into the tree line. Calla landed on the green back of Hawk's mom, steaming and grinning. 

"How'd you like that--?!" A flaming bird engulfed her and Elizabeth cried out as the Sin lit up with purgatory flames. Derieri came back at breakneck speed, rearing back and aiming for Calla, who was trying to put the fire out. She looked up as Derieri's fist came closer to slamming into her face.

"LADY CALLA--!" She threw up her forearms, but before she could greet death, Derieri's fist was held back by a glowing white aura. 

"It is you..." Derieri murmured. 

"How is it...?" Elizabeth asked. "How is it that you're able to just take other peoples' lives so callously and with such indifference?" 

With her words, Derieri's forearm exploded. 

She held out the remaining bone and tissue and Monspeet called out her name in obvious worry. 

"There's no mistaking it now...I fucking knew it was you." The darkness on her left arm whipped around wildly as she drew it back.

"St..stop!" Elizabeth cried. Calla shot forward, trying to block the Princess from her impending doom. I'm not going to make it! 

"DIE!" 

Before she could kill the princess, a fist met her chest, stopping the Commandment dead in her tracks. Blood flew from her mouth, and her ribs poked out from the indented skin. She stumbled back before falling off of Hawk's mom. Calla jumped after them, but not before she heard a familiar voice. 

"Anyway..I'm sorry for making you worry Elizabeth." 

-

Calla found the pair deep in the woods, Monspeet trying to wake up the Commandment.

"Derieri, snap out of it!" She heard him shout, watching as Derieri snapped awake, jerking up and slamming her hand into the ground as her chest fixed itself. They hadn't seemed to notice her yet, so she pressed her back flat against the tree she was perched in. Monspeet pressed a hand against her back cautiously. "Don't overexert yourself." He warned as she wheezed.

"How?" She asked. He helped her up, seemingly shrugging a shoulder.

"I'm quite befuddled myself really. We bore witness as Meliodas had all his hearts pierced...for all intents and purposes, he should be dead...but that was clearly the genuine article." He answered.

"That's going to be a problem." She remarked before looking over at him, about to say something when she locked eyes with Calla, who was watching quietly. "We've got company." It was Calla's turn to shrug a shoulder.

"Just eavesdropping." She admitted, jumping down from her perch and landing a few feet away from them, groaning when she saw the way Monspeet took a step forward. "Oh my fucking god, just get together already, would ya?" Their brows rose.

"We don't have time for your antics." Derieri snapped. "Move, or we--I'll kill you."

"Oh?" She inquired. "I get a choice?" She put a finger to her chin. "Then I guess I'll let Meliodas have a go with you." She stepped out of the way for them to walk by. "Love the hair babe!" She called as they walked by and snorted as Monspeet glared at her.