Epilogue

A Year Later...

Y/N's POV

The past year was very busy and full of many events.

The mountain was blocked off by Josh's parents after Josh begged them not to let anyone go there ever again. They didn't believe our whole story, but they noticed how scared we all were of the mountain when we returned, so they respected our wishes. 

No one truly believed our whole story. The media labeled us as crazy. Not one of us could walk the streets without being gawked at or getting looks. But it didn't matter because we knew the truth and had each other.  

Thankfully, the police finally gave up on the idea of me helping Josh with his prank, so I was not labeled as an accomplice. Mike was also able to be exempt, all of us refusing to press charges against him. To my surprise, even Emily finally agreed to protect Mike from getting any jail time.

As for Josh, I kept my promise, not letting Josh get locked up anywhere and instead agreeing to let him visit a mental hospital on occasion. Josh and I were able to continue seeing our therapist, Dr. Hill, who I talked to about the possibility of Josh being misdiagnosed. Dr. Hill really stepped up his act, making Josh's well being his personal mission. With his help, we were able to diagnose Josh properly and get the medication he needs.  

Chris did indeed move in with Josh and I as we continued to live together with his parents, who made more time for us after they heard what happened. Josh was especially grateful for that and would often spend his afternoons helping his dad with whatever current project he had. Uncle Bob even agreed to help Josh achieve his dream of becoming a filmmaker.

Everyone also forgave Josh for the prank he pulled. After everything that went down that night, Josh's little prank seemed so trivial compared to the rest of the events. Besides Josh, everyone also forgave each other. Emily even made up with Mike and Jess once we all got home.

As far as couples go, Jess and Mike got married a few months after our return to the mountain. Matt and Emily's relationship flourished and their engagement party is tomorrow. Ashley found love at her favorite coffee shop. Her boyfriend is pretty cool and hangs out with us sometimes. He doesn't think we're crazy and always has our backs if someone makes a comment when he's around. As for the rest of us, Sam and Josh started dating as well as Chris and I. 

I was grateful that we were all able to make amends and grow closer than ever. The problems of the past all seemed unimportant now.

We are all alive.

We knew that was what mattered.

And that's true to this day.

I'm at the Washington's (and my) house playing video games with Chris in one of the living rooms upstairs. Josh is out on a date with Sam and his parents are at the studio, leaving just me and Chris.

"Haha!" Chris cheers, lifting his controller up victoriously. "I just kicked your butt!"

I roll my eyes. "You're a dork."

Chris tries to run his hands through his hair like Mike does when he's being cocky, but ends up bumping his bruise he got last week on his head. He winces, sucking breath in through gritted teeth.

I gasp, reaching out to touch it gingerly. "Oh no! Are you okay?"

Chris nods. "Yeah. Yeah. I'm... fine."

I examine his bruise just like I have every day. "I still can't believe you managed to get Matt to accidentally hit you with that bat during our group baseball game. What were you even doing sneaking up on him?"