Chapter Nine: Even After Death

Y/N's POV

"She wasn't up there?" Ashley asks when Chris comes down the stairs with no Sam.

Chris shakes his head. "I don't know... I didn't see her. She must have come down here."

"Y/N and I didn't see her either," Ashley tells him.

"Chris..." I try, only to be cut off by Ashley's screech when a candle lights out of nowhere.

Ashley points to the candle. "Did that just happen?"

"Dammit," Chris says. "What is going on around here?"

With Sam nowhere to be seen on the main floor, Chris leads the way to the lower level. 

"Chris..." Ashley begins.

"Sa-What?" Chris asks, interrupted in his calling for Sam by Ashley.

"Chris, I just wanted you and Y/N to know... what happened back there in the shed... I know... I know how hard that was... Josh was our friend and Y/N, Josh was your cousin."

"Ashley, stop," Chris pleads. 

"No, let me finish. I want to say... I can't imagine what you two are going through. It must be ten times worse than what I'm feeling. If you guys need to talk about it or anything at all, please just let me know. I want to help."

"Thanks, Ash," I say. "And Chris?"

Chris pauses, looking shocked that I'm even talking to him. "Yeah, Y/N?"

"Thank you for saving my life. I know I seemed unappreciative and everything. And I'm sorry."

Chris shakes his head. "No, Y/N. I understand. I mean... you just lost your cousin. And it's because of me. But..."

"No, Chris. It wasn't because of you. You were just trying to protect me. It's not your fault. Just... thank you for saving my life. I know that situation was really hard."    

Chris nods sadly and keeps walking until he gets into the theater room, stopping to turn and look at me. "Of course. Of course, Y/N. I couldn't let anything happen to you. I just couldn't."

"Chris..."

"Do you forgive me?"

I smile, taking Chris's free hand that isn't occupied with his flashlight. "There's nothing to forgive."

"Y/N..."

"Yeah?"

Chris then looks past me at Ashley, who is falling behind. "Ash, you alright?"

She nods as she catches up to us. "Yeah... I just... Oh my gosh."

"Yeah..." Chris agrees, pulling his hand away from me to scratch the back of his neck. "Let's just not talk about what happened anymore, alright? Let's just find Sam."

"But guys," Ashley says, "I found a broken vase."

Chris and I look behind Ashley to find the vase that was in here broken into a million tiny pieces.

"What happened?" I ask.

"I'm no forensics expert, but it looks like it was thrown," Chris concludes.

Ashley and I nod slowly in agreement, Ashley taking the lead as we exit the theater room and into a small hallway.

But the door closes behind us, making Ashley squeak in fear. She backs away from the now-closed door. "What the heck!" Ashley walks over to another door, trying to open it, only to have something slam it shut again.