Chapter Five: A Lot You Didn't Know

Ashley's POV

Once Josh comes back from giving Mike and Jess the keys, he kneels down by the fireplace and tries to get a fire started. Y/N tries to help him, but it's unsuccessful. 

Exasperated, Josh calls, "Sammy!"

"What?" Sam yells back.

"You wanna help me get this fire going?"

"Ummm. Well... I was just getting into the bath."

"Ohh! Well, do you need any help with that?"

I giggle as Y/N hits Josh on the back, scolding him.

"Hardy har!" Sam replies.

Since Sam can't help him, Josh tries to get the fire going by himself.

"You can do it, man," Chris assures him in a weird accent. "We believe in you."

"Yeah! Totally! Woo! Let's go Jo-osh! Let's go!" I cheer.

Y/N manages to give me a small smile. She hasn't truly smiled ever since the fight with Emily...

Gosh, I wish I could give that Emily a piece of my mind.

Josh sighs, standing up and giving up on the fire. "Alright, peanut gallery, you know what? I got an idea for you three."

"What?" I ask.

"Okay, well, I am pretty sure that somewhere in this crazy place we used to have... a spirit board."

I notice Y/N tense up.

"A what?" I question.

Chris chuckles. "Wow, you have a 'spirit board?'"

Josh nods. "Yeah. Yeah. They're fun, right?"

"Those things are a joke, man. They don't do anything."

"No way, bro. We used to do it all the time. Me, Y/N, and... well..."

Josh trails off as Sam comes down the stairs, saying, "Hey, Josh. No hot water's kinda major oversight, doncha think?"

"Yeah, yeah. Just gotta fire up the boiler. It's in the basement," Josh gestures to the direction of the basement before turning to me, Y/N, and Chris. "You guys see if you can find the spirit board."

Y/N shifts uncomfortably. "Actually, Josh, if you don't mind, I'd rather come with you and Sam. I don't want to touch that board."

Josh nods. "Alright, suit yourself. Come on down."

I turn to Chris. "Chris, let's go find it! It'll be like a scavenger hunt!"

Chris gets up from his spot on the couch. "Umm... okay... guess so."

I glance behind me as I walk, noticing Chris give Y/N a little wave before passing her to follow me. I smirk as I face forward to watch where I'm going again.

Maybe Chris and Y/N just need a little nudge.

But how?

Y/N's POV

"You up for a ride-along?" Josh asks Sam as he starts walking towards the basement.

I follow close behind him, feeling bad that I crashed his alone time with Sam. I know he really likes her, but I just didn't want to go with Chris and Ashley to find that board. 

With Hannah and Beth it was fun, but with them gone, I don't know. I just have a bad feeling. I know that Josh and Chris will probably talk me into doing it with them anyway, though.