chapter 17

-Shikamaru pov-

I couldn't think of very many logical reasons why Naruto would help us pass. I mean, we were competition, and would probably have to fight each other in the later phases. I continued to think as we made our way to the tower. Naruto left the room right after handing us the scrolls, so we couldn't ask questions. I decided to ask now, quietly in his ear though, so no one else could hear.

"Why did you help us?"

"Well, I helped their team-" he said pointing to Shino, Kiba, and Hinata.

"because I really wanted Hinata to pass. And I helped your team because it shows promise, especially you." I was somewhat shocked.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you could've gotten it yourself, but I wanted to make sure you passed this phase. I won't help you again though." I nodded.

"Why did you help the sand shinobi though?" When I asked that, I saw multiple emotions pass over his face.

"Well, it was mainly because of Gaara. He... has alot in common with me." I could tell that wasn't the only reason, but I didn't push.

"ok, but how do I know you didn't put a tracker on us while we sleep, poison our food, and give us a false scroll?" He chuckled.

"You don't. But I assure you I wouldn't stoop that low." I probably shouldn't, but I believed it.

"Alright guys, we should probably split up. we can meet back together at the tower." Naruto said to everyone. We all nodded.

"Race ya there!" Kiba said.

-timeskip brought to you by the red crew (deadpool, spiderman, daredevil) being badass-

-Gaara pov-

I was the first one called up, and I beat my apponent, Rock Lee, with a bit of difficulty. I broke his leg, but it would be healed in a few months. I stood beside Naruto watching the next few matches.

Temari vs Tenten, Temari won.

Sakura vs Ino, Sakura won.

Sasuke vs some rain ninja, Sasuke won.

Shikamaru vs some older leaf ninja, Shikamaru won.

Choji vs Neji, Neji won.

Hinata vs an older leaf ninja, Hinata won.

Shino vs another older leaf ninja, Shino won.

Kankuro vs another leaf ninja, Kankuro won.

and a few more.

Then, Naruto got called to fight with Kiba. They made their way down, and the proctor started the match.

"Sorry about this." Naruto said. Kiba was about to respond, but in a flash Naruto was behind him. He gave a swift chop to the back of Kiba's neck, causing him to fall to the ground, unconcious. They called it Naruto's win by knockout.