21: Castles, Candlesticks, Clogs and Carrots

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, no problem," There's people in the next room. I poke Håkon. "Look, Wolves hoodie."

"Kid's got fashion sense," Håkon mumbles back at me. "It's Paxy's."

"How can you tell?"

"Number on his hood," We're keeping our voices creepily low. "Eighty one."

"Ah, he's got class."

"Lotta class," Håkon is trying not to smile. Then he realizes we're two full grown men staring at a kid that's maybe 10. I turn around, but Håkon stays at a side angle.

Out of the corner of my eye, the kid's eyes go wide. Håkon puts on his game face and tips his chin at him. The kid is now full on smiling, he pokes his mom.

"Mom," I'm pretending to read a plaque under a painting. "Mom, mom."

"Yes?" I assume the mom turns around.

"Mom, mom, it's Rex," I turn around a little too, catching the kid's eye. "Mom!"

"Sorry," The mom is pink around the ears. "He's a big fan."

"Nah, it's alright," Håkon holds out his hand to the Mom and they introduce themselves. The kid is trying to figure out who I am.

"Picture a bigger helmet than Håkon has." I smile.

"Wait," he breaks into a huge grin. "Stojanovič."

"Bingo," I laugh. "Kid's good. Take's a true fan to know who I am."

"No, no, you're Paxton's friend!" He pulls out his shirt to show us that it's Paxy's. Håkon smiles. "Can I get a picture?"

"Sure," Håkon kneels down and tips his head at me. This is the first time I've ever been asked to get a picture. Normally that's Steph. I drop to a knee and the Mom is beyond embarrassed. She gets out her camera and the kid's got a massive smile.

"Thank you, boys," She takes a couple pictures and puts her phone back into her pocket. "Really can't tell you what that means to him." Håkon gets up to chat with her and I turn to the kid. 

"Do you play?" I ask him.

"Goalie!" He puts his hands on his hips.

"Well," I wink at him. "I doubt I'll still be in the league when you get there, but I hope to see you on the big screen someday, yeah?"

"Yeah!" He's basically jumping up and down.

"Alright, and remember to seal up your edges. Skate against the post every single time." I ruffle his hair and stand up.

"Thanks!" He whips around to his mom. "That was awesome."

Håkon glances at me and I glance back, trying not to laugh. His arm brushes mine and we enter the room next to the current and I have to laugh just a little.

"That was so cool," I snort. "I've never been asked for a picture before."

"No way," Håkon's eyebrows go up. "Never?"

"Never. It's always Steph."

"Well, pardon my Swedish, but fuck that," He wiggles his hand in his pocket for a moment. "I'm asking you for a picture right now."

"Ooo, fun," I stick my head in the frame and fix my hair. He takes one, and then I get on my toes and kiss his cheek for the next. Håkon's eyes dart around the room and he kisses me for the third.

"That was gay." I poke him in the side.

"Yeah," He wipes off the side of his face, laughing lightly. "And now I've got that moment forever."