iv. avada kedavra

The name Jacob Farrier followed Jules around in hushed whispers

The name Jacob Farrier followed Jules around in hushed whispers. His name was a like a ghost, passing through walls and sending chills through the spines for those who knew of his... escapades.

"You're the sister of that disgrace," one boy had said.

"Did he really run away to serve You-Know-Who?" Asked a girl.

"Traitor," hissed another.

The more she heard his name, the more Jules felt pain. She missed Jacob unequivocally and life had never been the same since he disappeared. Their mother was naturally the most distraught and Jules could still hear the echoing painful wails that had graced the family manor the day they learned the news.

She tried to smile at the memory of her and Jacob pretend duelling with liquorice wands in the garden, laughing and screaming like nothing else mattered.

But one evening, as everyone began to eat in the Great Hall, Jules found herself without an appetite and a need to be away from everything and everyone. The overwhelming pressure that she'd experienced in that one day alone was enough to reduce her to tears. But she had to be strong. She had to be strong for Jacob.

The clocktower courtyard was tranquil. The breeze was gentle and the splashing of the water in the fountain was a relaxing change from the chaos of the Great Hall. The sun was setting, but it was mostly cloudy so there'd be no pretty pink skies and golden light.

But Jules distracted herself by reading for a while. She'd dug out Hogwarts: a History from her bag and read a couple of chapters before putting it back and sitting quietly, closing her eyes and enjoying the breeze and twittering of the birds in the trees.

"Hello."

Startled, quickly Jules spun around to see Bill stood with a soft smile of his face, his satchel over his shoulder, and his tie draped around around his neck. She'd almost fallen asleep, so part of her was glad that Bill had shown up.

"I didn't hear you," she said as he approached her.

"Sorry. Mum's always telling me to be quiet around my baby brother when he's sleeping. Force of habit."

Jules then turned back around, fiddling with the end of her tie. She felt somewhat hungry now, but couldn't bare the thought of showing her face in the Great Hall. She didn't want to be stared at and mocked.

"How did you know I was here?" She then asked.

"Rowan said you weren't hungry and wanted some space. This a good place for some quiet."

"I'm guessing you've heard the gossip, then..."

"Yeah, but that's all it is. Gossip. It doesn't mean it's true."

"Everyone thinks it's true, so it might as well be."

Bill shrugged, sitting down beside her. "He's your brother. You knew him best... If any of my brothers were subject to school rumours I'd be as annoyed as you are."

"Then you know how Merula makes me feel."

Upon even mentioning the name, Jules could feel her blood boil. Merula Snyde- a fellow first year Slytherin- had been actively encouraging rumours about the Farrier siblings and she found great pleasure in bringing misery to Jules's life.

"I hope she gets her comeuppance one day," Bill then mused. "Horrible people like her usually do."

"I hope you're right," Jules replied.

She then fell into silence. She imagined Merula's snarky face and wanted to throw a punch to it. There was as much dirt on Merula as there was on Jules: her parents were in Azkaban and Jules realised that it made her insecure. Perhaps it was the root of her nastiness. Perhaps her nastiness was a defence mechanism.

"Have you done the Potions essay that's due on Monday?" Bill then asked, switching the subject.

Jules closed her eyes, sighing frustratedly. "Snape's going to give me detention again."

Bill couldn't help but laugh. "You have the weekend. I'll help you if you want; I still need to finish it, so we could meet in the library on Saturday morning."

"Would you? That'd be great. Honestly. Thank you."

"No worries. You'll owe me a box of Every Flavour Beans, though."

Jules scoffed. "Dream on. I might stretch to a Chocolate Frog if you're lucky."

"Deal. As long as I don't get another Godric Gryffindor card. I've got about five of those."

"I can't make any promises."

Smiling in an amused fashion, Bill got to his feet and straightened down his robe. "I'll leave you in peace. But don't let anyone get to you. You've got people like Rowan on your side and she's worth a million of Merula."

And so, he turned on his heels and headed back inside the castle, leaving Jules with a soft smile on her face. It was first time she'd felt happy that day. But Bill was right. Rowan had her back and all Jules needed was her friends by her side and she could get through anything that the world threw at her...