iii. alohomora

"Incomplete homework? That's ten points from Slytherin and a week's worth of detentions for you, Farrier, starting today

"Incomplete homework? That's ten points from Slytherin and a week's worth of detentions for you, Farrier, starting today."

Jules was thankful that Snape's punishment was what she had hoped for. He'd glowered at her, his dark eyes piercing through her soul like knives. She thought that he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near eleven year olds.

"Could have been worse," Rowan said when Jules had returned later that night after her first tedious detention.

"There is nothing worse that being in the same vicinity as Snape," Jules pouted. "He made me write lines and no doubt he's got something worse in store for the next six days."

However, it was in this first detention that Jules met Cornelius Laurie, or Neely, as he preferred- a first year Ravenclaw who seemed to wear a permanent scowl on his face, but who was also very interested in slagging off Professor Snape, much to Jules's amusement.

"That greasy haired git probably doesn't even know his left foot from his right," Neely sneered. "Dumbledore must have been mad to hire him."

Their mutual dislike for the Potions professor had made them instant friends. Neely was in detention for backchatting and making sarcastic comments, which really infuriated Snape. He had been subjected to cleaning out the cauldrons and arranging the shelves whilst mumbling to himself about how stupid the whole situation was.

"Well, if he didn't want me to backchat then he shouldn't have said things to provoke me," Laurie had said. "What did he expect?"

"For you to bow down and kiss his feet," Jules replied with a snigger.

"Ha! I think you're right. Perhaps detention won't be as bad with the two of us being here. I like you, Jules Farrier."

"Likewise, Neely."

Jules was thankful that he was right. Detention was better with the two of them being together. They passed the time by laughing (mostly at Snape- Neely's impression of his nasally voice was uncanny) and joking and saying how they couldn't wait to duel, and play pranks, and play Quidditch, and a whole host of other magical shenanigans.

Jules also learned that Neely wanted to either play professional Quidditch or become an Auror when he was older.

"And what do you want to do after Hogwarts?" He then asked when they'd finally left the Potions classroom.

"I'm not really sure," she replied with a shrug. "I might work for the Ministry like my dad does. Or I might be an Auror. I wouldn't want to be anything boring, though; I'd want something I'd be excited to turn up to every day."

"Then Potions processor is out of the question!"

That night, Jules went to bed with a smile on her face. She'd loathed the idea of detention, but with having a new friend around it would actually be fun. Although she was certain that she wasn't going to make a habit out of it and Rowan promised to try and help her stay out of trouble. But even Rowan wasn't a miracle worker.

Jules Farrier was about to become the talk of Hogwarts and trouble was most definitely going to hunt her down...