Chapter 40: Tearing Us Apart

Start from the beginning

  "No, they had Becky and Audrey showing most houses. They didn't need me today it seems." She laughed, and then took a drink.

     He had looked at Colleen like he found it great she didn't need to work. It's like their not so busy. And even when they are they check in plenty of times. And of course, Colleen took a bite into her taco. And then wiped her mouth with her napkin.

   "So," Edward began. "I saw the email from your doctors. And I wasn't snooping. But I accidentally ran past it. And they gave you the okay about being fertile. So... I was asking... are you...you know?"

    Colleen froze, and was a bit terrified of this. And it was only that she didn't think she was. She wasn't sure because she had some systems. She wasn't positive.

   "Edward, no I'm not. I had some symptoms of it. And so I went to the doctors and asked on advice if I could if I...or we planned to." Colleen responded.

   "Do you want to get pregnant? Is that what's... going on?"

   "I don't know. I would check with you before doing something. And the doctor and my Gynecologist said I'm perfectly healthy to... get pregnant if we were planning to."

     Edward could have had a bad influence on the whole situation since his last marriage with Rachel. It probably was an understatement. And it just was crazy beyond anything else. And of course, Edward just looked at Colleen thought that maybe she was thinking of it.

  "Why didn't you have more kids?" Colleen asked him when he was silent.

He cleared his throat. "Well I was 23 when Emma was born. And I guess Rachel and I never really discussed it. I think we might have talked about having another baby at one point. But it just never happened...I guess." He said, just going a bit into the salad that was in front of him.

   Colleen kept a happy smile right on her face, in spite of jealousy she has had, knowing of the chemistry Edward still has with his ex wife.

  "But what made you guys just want to have Emma?" She asked.

   "I don't know...I guess it just happened. Rachel woke up one day she just decided she wanted a baby." He said.

Edward knew he would speak the truth. And talking about Emma has been what he loves but not about his ex wife. He was married to her for nineteen years. And that's over a decade. And of course, Edward just likes the friendship he has to have with his ex wife due to having to share Emma with her still. But Edward isn't the type of man to just walk away from certain situations.

   "And you remember what that was like? When you first had her? Would you ever want anything quite like that?" Colleen asked, her face flushing.

  "I never actually sat down and thought about it. But do you wanna go through that process?" Edward arched a brow at her.

   She reached for his left hand. "Of course. I was teenage when I got pregnant with Christopher. We're still young and able to conceive. It's not a bad idea. Christopher is going off to college and soon Emma will be off to college as well. It's not so bad to want to make a baby."

    Edward smiled at her.

     "If that's what you want. I mean we'll just try." He said.

  Outside the thunder roared as loud as anything. And of course as the normal married couple, they talked and laughed. And of course, Colleen and Edward had finished lunch with the quiet except for the thunder interrupting. And then, they had cleaned up and washed the dishes. And of course by then, Colleen had deciding to go collect some laundry. It is a Saturday. And of course the moment Colleen took one of the empty baskets she had gone upstairs into Christopher's room seeing how empty and dead it was. Except for his bed and his book shelf. And his closet. The room had plenty of boxes. And she might have dropped tears on the floor with her hand on her heart, gasping in utter sadness.