Chapter 32: The Lake House

       When seven came around, dad came in waking me up for breakfast. But all I wanted to do was sleep in still. I was barely hungry. I wanted to avoid anything in regards to having to see Christopher. Because if I see him I know it will kill me. And dad had shook me a few times to get up. And so it didn't take me long to get up and so I had taken my messy hair and I tied it up into a messy bun and then I stepped into my bunny slippers.

     I had gone downstairs for breakfast and with no surprise, Christopher wasn't there. And I walked into the kitchen that looked beyond nice as if there was no mess at all. And I smiled entering the kitchen. And what I saw reminded me of an opening to a drama sitcom. Just two people who obviously love each other and are enjoying cooking breakfast together like every normal couple.

    It was quite sad that I had to see this long after my parents divorced. But little do I care right now. Just as the pancakes sat in front of me. And dad was treating me like I'm a sick patient. He made my plate for me. And it was clear Christopher wasn't coming down and that made me sad. I actually liked having Christopher's company. Someone nice to look at. The chair he usually sits in...is empty. And I became semi-emotional.

Just as I sat there, dad and Colleen were just acting like nothing happened last night. Or actually this morning at two in the morning. And so, I was stuck with a poor appetite. Even if Colleen's pancakes looked good. I couldn't help but think of everything that happened with Christopher. Not to mention I was attacked by him in this kitchen. And my lower back hurts like hell. I wonder if he left bruises on my body from it.

    But I couldn't understand how they were acting like everything was fine. But did they forget about everything? What's going on with Christopher? And so I just kinda sat there, listening like a stupid eavesdropper. And everything they were talking about did not phase me one bit. And I had ate like a bird. Barely touching it. And I guess dad and Colleen were too deep in conversation to realize that I was definitely bothered or troubled. But my body was aching.

I guess dad and Colleen want Christopher to be left alone. And I think they thought it is his decision if he is to come out of his room. Which he obviously hasn't.

But then suddenly, dad wanted to get my attention. And with this attention, I actually had the time not to be zoning out in my head.

"So," dad began. "Your mom called. And she told me that you and Christopher are welcome to go with her today at noon to the lake house."

    I thought maybe mom had decided not to go to the lake house. Why didn't she just call me about it? Why did she call dad about it over me? And also, what if Christopher decides he doesn't wanna go? I mean he hasn't left his room.

  After dad spoke, the kitchen was silent. And this silence, was them waiting for me to say something. But what was I to say? And how should I react? There was a lot to say. But I just remained silent, unable to know what to say.

"You want us to go? But Christopher is isolating. And I thought he didn't wanna go." I said.

"Well," Colleen started. "Your dad and I made it clear by insisting he go...as punishment. He needs a break from here. He needs time to breathe. And I think him going with you and your mom is a good break for him. A good vacation."

    How is him going to a lake house over the weekend a punishment? That honestly makes no sense. And I just don't get it. But I guess it's not a bad idea. I can see Christopher more. But it's bad enough we haven't spoken since last night when he was drunk. But I wonder if he hates me even when I didn't necessarily do anything wrong. And I definitely didn't mean anything I did if I did anything to hurt him. But what did I do?