the dance - part two

"Okay... close your eyes, turn around, no peeking..."  Keefe said slowly, spinning her around to face the wall.  Sophie heard a bit of rustling, until Keefe said, "Ta-da!"

"Wow,"  Sophie breathed, running a hand across the silky red fabric.  It was a short, sleeveless dress made of red velvet outlined in a thick black line.  A dark sash was tied in a beautiful bow on the back and the waistline was decorated with dark flowers.

"Biana helped," Keefe admitted, looking like he was trying to restrain his overjoy that she'd liked it.  "I hailed her as soon as you left, let her look around and we picked one out together."

"Thank you,"  Sophie said quietly, leaning over to give him a kiss.  "Dance is in a few hours.  I'm going over to Biana's so we can... well, do whatever normal girls do.  See you there in four?"

"See you there,"  Keefe promised.  And then he was gone.

———————

"Did you like it?"  Biana said worriedly as Sophie stumbled through the door, holding her dress folded over her arm.  "And don't do that,"  she chided as an afterthought, looking panic-stricken that Sophie would hold her dress that way.

"Sorry,"  Sophie muttered sarcastically, holding it by the top.  "And yes, I loved it, so don't go all beserk on me."

"You know me too well," Biana said sweetly, and then gripped Sophie's arm, dragging her into Biana's bathroom.  "Get changed in there, okay? I'll grab some makeup- ooh, and a cute pair of shoes to go with it-"

Sophie left her to ramble about fashion as the carefully stepped into the gorgeous gown.  When she was finished,  Biana nearly bombarded her with makeup, hair products, and accessories as soon as she walked out of the door.

"Okay, see for yourself,"  Biana said nervously, stepping aside to let her stare at her reflection in the mirror.  Her hair was done up in a graceful updo, with a black feathered hair clip.  Her eyelids were brushed  smooth with smoky powder and Biana had put her in a deep red lipstick that matched her dress.

"Keefe is going to die when he sees you,"  Biana whispered.  "Come on.  Let's go."

keefe pov -

Keefe waited.  And waited.  And waited some more.

And his heart practically leaped out of his chest as his gorgeous, beautiful girlfriend shuffled nervously into the hall.  Keefe's breath caught in his throat so much that he choked-  he hoped she was far enough so that she wouldn't notice.

Biana looked breathtaking as well.... but there was just something about Sophie Foster, his brilliant, talented, gorgeous girlfriend that wasn't like anything else.

And Keefe loved it.

"Foster!  Over here!"  Sophie's face lit up at the sound of his voice, as she half tripped on her heels over to him.  Biana had gone to run off with Tam, while Fitz had taken Marella, Wylie had unsurprisingly asked Linh, and Dex, to everyone's amazement, had asked Stina when Biana had embarrassingly admitted that she was already going with Tam when he asked her.

"Hey Keefe,"  she said with that beautiful nervous smile.  She tugged at her eyelashes, and smiled.  The music started.

"I'm no good at dancing,"  Sophie whispered as Keefe took her arm and wrapped his other hand around her waist.  "But I guess you're good enough for the both of us."

"True,"  Keefe said, grinning.

They must've danced for hours.  Couples got bored and drifted off to the side but not them.  All Keefe wanted to do was dance, with his amazing girl that he still couldn't believe was his.

All those years of joking and flirting and now...

Now.

She was his.  And no one could ever take that away.

"Keefe,"  Sophie whispered, her golden flecked eyes piercing into his own.  Keefe felt himself smile.

"What is it?"  He spun her in a circle and then lifted her by the waist, twirling her around again.  Sophie giggled.

"Love you,"  Sophie said quietly.  "Do you know how glad I am that you're mine?"

"Not any gladder than I am that you're mine,"  Keefe promised.

Sophie pulled away, curtsied, and then promptly kissed him on the lips in front of everyone.

And beneath Fitz and Tam's snickers....

Keefe didn't care one bit.